Tuesday, May 26, 2020

A Cozy Little Corner

Chirping incessantly for its next meal, I'm realizing the great odds against this speckled breast baby ever surviving the months to come.  It might as well be saying eat me, eat me, eat me; instead of feed me.  I've watched it follow mommy and daddy around the front yard, onto the driveway and street, then back into the gardens, and just hold my breath keeping an eye out for the neighbor's cat.  

A view of the backyard through my bedroom window finds an adult robin in the low birdbath at the edge of the path...a favorite bathing place constantly refilled during warm days.  The second robin stands in the ground level birdbath cooling off while a juvenile waits
nearby.  Four other robins are checking under leaves for food, as the baby on the pathway keeps demanding snacks.

One of those people who can live with any of nature's creatures nearby, except...perhaps, black widows; I've found squirrels not much of a problem.  It helps that I have biodiversity coming out of my ears with these gardens, and a large oak tree with acorns most years.  A squirrel's nest in the huge tree across the street provides an endless supply of chatting little twerps whose numbers dwindle as the months pass by.

Passed through the back gardens to photograph and was met by intense scolding of titmice and blackbirds to leave the areas of baby's chirping, which is pretty much the entire back yard.  Guess there will be hell to pay in more ways than one, when I'm out planting this sweltering afternoon.






What do you mean...baby birds aren't doggy toys?


Phooey!  Bad dogs always have the most fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...