Friday, April 29, 2022

A Walk on a Cold Day in April



Early Morning — April 26
 
I love after-daybreak, when the sun is just into the tree canopy, sparing one from shading their eyes while enjoying the beauty of another spring morning following a day of off and on rain. 
 
There’s a series of snapping sounds causing me to turn my head and watch.  A Robin is in hot pursuit, wings sharply flicking at the rear of a zigzagging large Grey Squirrel fleeing across the garden.  I believe there must be a nest nearby.
 
As things calm down, mother Grey Squirrel and her three offspring continue their outing in the garden, nosing around the grounds, eating what is edible.  The young have already learned to master the swinging bird feeder.  I sigh when they empty it a bit, but it’s their garden also, so I enjoy watching the young ones in their precarious journey of growing up, as only a few ever seem to make it to adulthood.
 
The gardens appear lush and weedy, but we shall ignore the interlopers and embrace beauty in bloom.  ‘My Mary’ Azalea — last week she was with a fragrance that drifted on warm breezes to greet me with pleasant sensations as I passed by.  After much conversation with myself, I gave up.  I couldn't quite compare it to anything else.  It just was.  When it is cold, as today is, the fragrance seems to hide away.
 
Byzantine Gladiolus, is void of fragrance, but an exciting treat for the eyes with her orchid-like flowers in the prairie garden.  She’s an old beauty (Year 1629) from the Mediterranean area.  A demure size by today’s standards, and she loves the sunny south side of the house.  She usually gets nicked by a late frost that warps her new leaves; then she sits and waits.   Eventually she springs back into action, sprouting new leaves and sending up those lovely herringbone patterned long flower buds bending over at the top.   One by one buds open from bottom to top in a combination of scarlet upper petals and magenta lower petals with white whiskers.  She's a delight.
 
Today’s not much of a day for staying long in the gardens.  It’s a day for a nice cup of steamy hot chocolate as I curl up in my cozy arm chair that loves me so much, and watch another episode of that “Danish Downton-by-the-sea” series titled ‘Seaside Hotel’.  






'My Mary' Azalea
Introduced by George Beasley of Georgia, and named after his wife.
Eventually grows about 6' tall, 
which it has accomplished in its large container on the patio.
All parts are poisonous if you have a desire to munch a bit.
It has problems with Lace Bugs if not kept moist enough to prevent stress.





Spent Azalea flower sliding down the pistil and stamens to fall to the ground.





Maybe a type of Crustose Lichens


Byzantine Gladiolus, Year 1629
Looks a bit different from indoors to outdoors.
It makes a terrible cut plant.
Flower colors are much prettier outdoors with lots of sun.











Early Afternoon — April 27

It’s a welcomed event of sorts, just relaxing on the back deck in the new swivel rocker chairs, although I’m so dainty I can barely budge mine into even a hint of a tilt.  I watch, a little perturbed, as Vic rocks away with the greatest of ease.  Even though it’s light jacket weather, the change from inside television to outside bird song is refreshing.

I was taken by surprise earlier this day when Vic actually produced a pair of binoculars and intensely began viewing the Grey Owl Juniper through the living room window from the couch.  He declared with alarm that a squirrel was tearing a bird’s nest apart.    I was a little skeptical, but we were instantly on a mission to save a bird’s nest that was not savable if it indeed was being ripped to shreds.

After trampling the garden a bit, we could see nothing but a big junction of branches with no nest in site.  Back in the house, I notice the horror of all horrors!!!  A tick merrily making its way up my shirt front in search of an easy meal.  He was flushed down that vortex of unholy water to kingdom come, but you know how it is with these happenings… one feels pin pricks on their skin for the rest of the day causing multiple checks in the mirror until bedtime.

Vic continued watching the junction of branches with his binoculars, saying something was still out there.  I watched next, and a blur flew into the opening and two large baby bird heads stretched up over the branch with mouths wide open for worms.  I immediately thought of the robin the day before.  It was confirmed as a robin after it flew in and out a few times.  That was our unexpected excitement for the day.

Back at the present time, our discussion on the back deck turns to identifying the fragrance of ‘My Mary’ Azalea, mostly because I’m the one keeping any kind of conversation going while we eat quiche bought from a little French restaurant earlier in the day.  After testing the smell a few times, we agree it’s mostly vanilla with a hint of cloves.  Conversation is light…mostly about childhood memories, until the chilly breezes of late afternoon chase us inside.





Carex grayi, Grey Sedge
Long spike is the staminate (male)
Mace ball type spike below is the pistillate (female)
This native plant is quite aggressive in my gardens with all the rains.


North America Wild Hyacinth


White Clover, Trifolium repens
*
I feel, after much hardship, 
that eradicating a weed from my garden isn't practical. 
Managing the weed the year before is more practical, 
although in the rush of the  greening of spring,
they all break back out of jail :(
*
I have actually used a herbicide on this little beauty in the gardens,
as it's impossible to pull up all the roots.


Common Ninebark, Physocarpus opulifolius
*
I've limbed mine up a bit to remove aggressive weeds underneath,
so it is vase shaped instead of ball shaped.
The bark has become shaggy over the years, 
giving it appeal when not blooming.
It's in full bloom now, 
but the promise of ticks prevents me from exploring it further.


Lyreleaf Sage, Salvia lyrata 
Flowers and seeds below that have formed
*
Some consider this an aggressive native, 
but it has never become a problem.
I move new plants that pop up to areas where I need them.
It lives in sun, shade, wet, dry … what's not to love.





Allegheny Spurge, Pachysandra procumbens
growing around 'Tokudama' Hosta which is now considered a cultivar.
The Hosta was originally discovered in 1860 in Nagasaki, Japan 
in the garden of  Von Siebold.  
It has never been found as a colony in the wild.  


Monarda bradburianaBeebalm-Eastern, Bergamot





One lousy out-of-focus bug … what gives? 


Clematis 'Arabella'





All Day — April 28

Nothing, except to write this post, work on the photos, and chill out.  I finally spent time in my studio and finished setting up my laptop.  Still working on adding Norton, Microsoft Office, and Adobe Photoshop.  Don't hold your breath!  I seem to have only one speed that never gets out of first gear.  

Take care, and goodnight or good morning or good day or good grief or 



Finally! — April 29

Publishing...then out to the gardens to mingle among the ticks and weeds.





This Post is Linked to:

22 comments:

  1. ...thanks for these beautiful sights that are still weeks off for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so wonderful .. I like your "story" ;)
    the flowers are beautiful
    have a nice weekend
    Rosi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring, glorious Spring! Such gorgeous flower and plant photos, as always. Glad that tick didn't get a chance to burrow into you as its tasty meal! I hate ticks and tick season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Yvonne, Your plants and blooms are gorgeous. I just love the My Mary Azalea. I have found a couple ticks on me, nasty parasite. They do have a way to make you feel like things are crawling on your skin after they are removed. Sweet photo of Lacey peeking out. Your new swivel rockers sound wonderful. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The flowers are all beautiful. Some I have not seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great burst of colour to start my day. Spring has been grudging this year but I think it has finally come to stay. After all, it will be May tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Azalea and the beautiful color of the Gladiolus. Everythings looks like having a grat spring. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those yellow blooms remind me of those I recently photographed at the Norfolk Botanical Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's always something to irritate but I wouldn't let it stop you! It's worth getting out in nature. Love the sound of those chairs on the deck. Save me a spot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful post and lovely photos. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yellow flowers are my favorite, so "My Mary" truly made me smile -- and then later on I loved your description of her delicious aroma. I will miss seeing any azaleas or rhodies or indeed most other Spring flowers this year because they don't grow here in Florida. I loved experiencing Spring again last year when we stayed in Oregon. You had some exciting birding in your very own yard (another thing we miss here on the Canal-- even un-exciting birding doesn't happen from our own windows here.) So thank you for letting me experience the joys of Spring vicariously. Loved every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post, Yvonne -- so many beautiful images here! And creatures, too. I'm seeing lots of little squirrels too, though not with mom. That color is fabulous (and so is your sweet cat peeking!) And I couldn't agree more on Seaside Hotel. It's delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, you got a lot of beauties in your garden. Never seen the 'My Mary' Azalea before. Must be a rare one, but soo beautiful, stunning! The Gladiolus I am familiar with since I was a teen. But this seem a bit different. Also beautiful in color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How time flies. My review from years gone by. Enjoy the book Yvonne.

    https://anotherbirdblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/crossley-id-guide.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. we walk almost every day; we guess good for health.....
    temperature quite warmer in Louisiana now days....

    Thank you for sharing story and beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Yvonne,
    a gray squirrel and three young, that sounds like a nice observation! And then robins too. Your azalea is absolutely gorgeous, big and with beautiful flowers. I try to imagine its scent. It must smell wonderful. The color of the gladiolus looks really beautiful. The white clover looks nice too. You actually use Round Up? Don't do it, it's bad for bees and you're promoting a dreadful company. Better real weeds than a company acting like all-devouring weeds...
    Adorable, the cat's look <3
    But oh, ticks! Ever since my friend Brigitte fell ill with Lyme disease, I've been afraid of these little creatures. Luckily it didn't bite you.
    All the best, hugs and happy May, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/05/wanderlust-blogparade-der-u30blogger.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your gorgeous flowers are an ode to spring, Yvonne.

    Love the burst of colors — they certainly brightened my day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved reading your prose so much and seeing your beautiful photos. You have a gorgeous garden. A cup of steamy hot chocolate in a cozy arm chair is extremely inviting and your kitty's face is just delightful.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful Post! Watch out for those ticks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you to comment about flowers in my blog...
    you might be right those flowers are iris.

    # Actually, there are sign of iris and daylily .... we confused which one iris or lily ...
    again, thank you for your comments and let's know of iris ....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...