Thursday, May 18, 2023

Funky Dunky


 

Miss Charlotte, the delight of any camera in sight

It’s said she’d rather snooze than beautify,

As her low key contenance rather delights her humans.

 

She may know her given name if it’s to her advantage,

And much of her is as one imagines,

As she disappears - the rest of the day – hidden – not here.

 

She vanishes within herself with that long empty stare.

A mystery not waiting to be solved.

She’s her own being living in middle-class luxury.

 

A tricky balance, not rocking the boat,

Giving affection one pinch at a time,

Seeking the contentment of solitude,

In an environment of multitudes.

I’m thinking, more or less, that sums it all up,

Meeting half way in all there is to say.

 

She’s an enigima - someone’s darling in her long, lost past,

Another one's darling in present tense,

She is Miss Charlotte - and that's one hundred percent enough.



















Very little of the garden this time around, as we are having to work out the kinks of giving our terrier a good quality of life before we must let him go.  It’s been tiring searching for food he will eat that doesn’t cause more problems with his kidneys.

My phone camera sometimes refuses to take a photo until I go out of camera mode, then back in.  Other times it wants me to do something it has picked out, instead of the choice I have picked out.  It’s very exasperating arguing with that darn thing.

Blooms have come and gone without a photo to record the event; but that’s life, isn’t it.  Most days are filled with so much rain, we’ve had to do our pruning in between all the storms of the day.

Charlotte’s macro photos came out nicely, but I think I must increase the pixel rate on the telephoto ones, like the grey squirrel.  The quality of its photographed fur leaves much to be desired.  I haven’t used a regular camera for so long, I’m having to reteach myself how to work the “Pro” App.  At least when I use focus, green appears around the subject when it’s at its best.

The first cicadas of the season have begun digging themselves out of the ground, and climbing up any plant nearby to shed their exoskeleton before drying out and flying up into the trees for courtship time.  I briefly saw one today as it tested out its wings with a few buzzes, then flew up into the canopy.  It was only about an inch long.

Watched a newly appearing lady bug, still in its yellow phase, stretch its wings out a few times, then have the audasity to fly off before I could photograph it well.  A small snail traveling in creep mode, became a small snail not traveling in squashed mode, when I totally forgot in my hurriedness where it was.  I feel a tiny bit bad about that one.

The Sweetspire is the darling of the Carpenter Bees, and amid all that buzzing one might think a few photos would follow below, BUT... with sunshine in one's eyes it was a lost cause.  I had to be content watching all the tiny shadows buzzing around on the ground.

I'm calling it a day, as I'm working without my laptop; writing at a computer whose chair hates me profoundly.  The laptop's at the doctor to see if it will go into it's chaotic phase for him.  Circles popping up and disappearring just as fast, then word documents opening in differeent size windows, layering upon each other as the circles are still dancing about, then... well, it goes on and on and on.  I have a little monster on my hands, clearly possessed.


How beautiful are the rosy footsteps of May! Less showery and changeful than April, and not so heated and burdensome as June, she stands like a gentle mediator between the two... With her soft blue eye, and her mild but radiant countenance, she comes like an angel of light among men... She scatters in her path the sweetest flowers of nature, and everywhere breathes fragrance and joyousness. The birds of the air are carolling her welcome, and even the mute beasts of the field seem happier at her coming. ~"May," Eliza Cook's Journal, 1850




This about says it all with my garden this year.  
Stay happy and safe and full of love.
















Itea virginica 'Saturnalia' (Sweetspire)








 Clematis Venosa Violacea.






Dustin









This Post Is Linked To:

19 comments:

  1. ...I hope that next time you will be able to share more views of your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful poem. Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes we too have to go slowly in life, so get behind the snail and mosey along leisurely and don't feel guilty about it. I am starting to think that there needs to be an age cap on gardening. My wife is the gardener in our family (she knew that before we got married). What used to be exclamations of joy every time she came back into the house have morphed into aches, pains and frustration. It's probably time for a condo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Charlotte lounges like a true diva!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Yvonne :=) Miss Charlotte looks so comfy, but manages to look elegant at the same time. Her macro, and all your garden photos turned out very well. I loved your poem about Miss Charlotte with the green eyes like Grey, and Justin's photo is spectacular. He is such a handsome boy, but I am sorry to learn that your terrier is not well. The May poem is lovely but it's not May weather here, as it's far too hot, and you are having lots of rain, more like April than May. These extreme weather conditions play havoc with my rheumatism
    and I'll probably take a break some time soon.
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely setting the cats, it is beautiful Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos of everything that can be seen in your garden.
    The cat and dog are cuties.
    I wish you a very good weekend.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    Love Miss Charlotte and the poem. Your garden mages are pretty, I rarely see snails here. Clematis is one of my favorite plants, beautiful blooms. Hugs for your sweet Dustin. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awe such lovely photos and darling critters in your life! Gardens and poems and everything nice is what we need to surround ourselves with everyday! Enriching right?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Clematis and used to have a vine years ago. Love all of the Spring flowers and pretty photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet photo of Dustin and creative photos of sweet kitty ~ lovely nature shots too ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter, and love,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful post, Yvonne. I love your sweet kitty and the floral shots are beautiful. Everyone needs a Miss Charlotte in their lives at some point. Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your garden photos, including the macros, turned out splendidly. Love the poem and the adorable Miss Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your words and writing are exquisite and I loved the photos -- even that squirrel you didn't seem as gung-ho about. Miss Charlotte is gorgeous and I had to laugh when you said she may know her given name if it's to her advantage! Lizzie is exactly the same. Thanks for coming by the other day. It was so nice to see your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a sweet post with wonderful words and beautiful blooms. I so enjoyed the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very sorry to hear about your terrier. It's always hard to go through that, but glad you are keeping an eye on his quality of life. Your clematis are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dustin stole the show again there Yvonne. I know that the cast lovers out there would prefer Miss Charlotte buy I am a doggy person. Your photos are lovely and I always imagined you used an SLR. Your question. Yes, we get birds caught by other ringers and vice versa but the recovery rate for small birds is very low maybe 1/10000 as most birds die without being found, ringed or not. It's good day when we receive a notification from another country or catch a bird with another country's address.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was a very lovely read. I was able to see the the scenes unfold. Miss Charlotte made me smile. A warm hug for your Dustin!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...