Saturday, May 6, 2023

A Robin's Sanctuary

 


Robin's egg shell


A rabbit hiding in plain site





Spent white flowers of the Blackhaw Viburnum 
that have dropped to the ground.
Looks like part of the Trillium.

 
'My Mary' Azalea loosing its old blossoms


Maple seeds


I think this pin head size insect is the nymph 
of the Florida Predatory Stink Bug.
The dried up spots on the Wreath Goldenrod leaf 
are most likely caused by leaf sucking insects 
that the nymph has already devoured.





I suppose nostalgic is the word that comes to mind when I walk and sit in the garden, of which the best part of my life has been devoted to.  It’s a feeling of contentment laced with a bit of quiet desperation when one’s state of mind endlessly desires to accomplish more, and one’s state of physical being must accept the fact that the sky is not always the limit.

The patio and deck cleaning are out of the way, and the recovered fallen Ash tree branches have been redistributed into the garden to slow down erosion.  We are talking about small branches over six feet long and the size of my skinny arm.

I cannot even comprehend the sound of such a tree limb cracking and falling through a maze of branches on its way down to be stopped by the earth.  I thought I heard one yesterday, and when I found it, the size was like a two foot stick no thicker than my thumb.  I thought for sure an elephant had come crashing out of the heavens to dine with me at lunchtime.

Talk about dining, a bumper crop of five hungry piranhas masquerading as juvenile squirrels have invaded my garden from their hidden nest in the huge tree across the street.  A quart of sunflower hearts runs out long before the sun has reached its zenith for the day.

Spring wears her disguises of winter and summer so cleverly, that one may wake up to a warm morning in May and end their day back in the coldness of January.  Summer has a way of sneaking in unnoticed until one day it’s hotter than hell in the neighborhood.

A new cellphone has entered my life, even though I usually wear something out before retiring it and moving on.  The learning curve is a bit exasperating when a Samsung Galaxy S7 is replaced by a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra.  Thank goodness for YouTube videos.

My garden comes across mostly as fifty shades of green, because… well, because it is a garden of fifty shades of green.  The sunny areas around the edges are always full of color, but the shady areas are more subdued in their shy coloring.  It’s a garden where photos never fully justify its quiet beauty, and yet I try, sometimes succeeding.

Welcome to my May, and a day that began in sunny warmth and ended in a growing coolness worthy of a coat.





Physocarpus opulifolius - Ninebark
Top photo are the seed heads from each pollinated blossom.
Insect is most likely a carpet beetle.





Conradina verticillata, Cumberland False Rosemary
a member of the mint family.
It has been classified as a threatened species.


Fleabane


Byzantine Gladiolus
This photo looks abstract, but it shows the iridescence of the glad.


Euonymus americanus, Strawberry Bush

Pollinated by ants.


Philadelphus inodorus L.
Scentless Mock Orange








Woodlouse (Sowbug)
A crustacean


'Polish Spirit' Clematis 
Grows like a weed in clay soil without amendments.


Have no idea the names of these two small flowering clematis.





Solomon's Seal with flower buds not opened yet.





Hexastylis arifolius*, or evergreen wild ginger


I removed the non-native Dicentra Spectabilis,
to be replaced with native plants.
Discovered a few survivers that will be left alone for now.





Honeybee discovered on a warm rock on a cold day.
Almost stepped on it.


'Minnie Pearl' , Thickleaf Phlox


Notice the pink eyes.





Itea virginica 'Saturnalia'
Pretty new leaves and flower buds not yet opened.





Bellwort, Uvularia grandiflora 
Surrounded by wildflowers and grasses.


Swamp clematis


Copper Iris, Iris Flava
Likes moisture.















This Post Is Linked To:

20 comments:

  1. A garden is no friend of old age unfortunately, or perhaps more accurately no friend of a gardener. There comes a time to pass the spade and fork and let other create the beauty for you to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...your garden is a delight! My health issues are making my garden more of a chore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Yvonne, Starting my comment with a suggestion: Rename your blog … Perfection, More Often Than Not. 😊 Well, that’s the way I see it. “A Robin’s Sanctuary” is yet another perfect post. I admire your artistry in the very first image. I enjoyed those paragraphs starting with “I suppose nostalgic …” and closing with “Welcome to my May.”

    Congrats on the new cellphone. Will you be using it for your garden photos? I hear that the camera in the phone is wow worthy.

    What an interesting selection of photos from your garden. I am curious about that figure in the Bellwort photos. It almost appears to be alive. 😊 Thanks for posting … always good to hear from you. Best regards from Seattle. John

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've a new cell phone, and they are tricky! A lovely May day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos as always! That cheeky bunny is very hard to spot but yes, he is not hiding in any way except for his natural fur camouflage. Enjoy your new cellpone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really are enjoying all the colors of the rainbow! I had to look closely for the bunny! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thoroughly enoyed your May 15 post; especially the first photo, but your blog won't accept my comments.

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed your colorful post..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! The robin's egg blue is so intense. You reminded me to look for Clematis for my garden. Love those flowers.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many flower names in your post! My knowledge of both wild and cultivated plants is terribly limited, though I enjoy looking at them and enjoying beautiful colors and shapes. The variety of insect species in our environment is even more bewildering. You seem very knowledgable!

    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful garden full of flowers you have.
    I immediately saw the rabbit.
    I enjoyed your photos.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post and gorgeous nature photos ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos, a very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant images, love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some wonderful flowers in bloom, and I love the blue of the Robins egg.

    ReplyDelete
  15. so much beauty in your post :)
    I did see a tiny eggshell like yours the other day. So. maybe it was our robins egg. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your shots are truly touching, thank you for sharing all these Wonders!
    Have a great week
    X Daniela @ ~ My little old world ~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Yvonne,
    Your garden is full of beautiful colors! I love all the various Clematis blooms. I had to look for the bunny, cutie! The egg color is lovely. Sorry, I am late commenting! Thanks so much for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here I am, a few weeks late to your early May post, but why not turn back the clock just a little? No robin is nesting in my yard this year. I enjoyed the poetry of your prose, especially the paragraph about gardening and aging. We feel our age some days, like today, so it was nice to enjoy all your pictures of wildflowers. And thank you for visiting my Garden Bloggers Bloom Day blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...