Thursday, June 15, 2023

Eulogy for a little dog named Dustin

A walk through the garden Dustin knew like the back of his paw.


Soldier Beetle


Clematis viorna








Hanging By A Thread


Orb Weaver


Penstemon 'Husker Red' (Cultivar)





A mushroom someone else may identify.


Yellow Wild Indigo, Baptisia tinctoria


An area by the removed pond.  Now it acts more like a rain garden.







Dustin's daily morning routine always included 
walking the parameter of the back garden with his nose to the ground, 
to pick up the scent of anything that had visited the night before.


Japanese Beetle, Popillia japonica


Seldom seen in the garden,
since we grow nothing it is attracted to.








An early bloomer still blooming.
Thickleaf Phlox 'Minnie Pearl', Phlox carolina


Wild Garlic Bulblets


Honeybee at birdbath.


Seed head from one of the yellow flowered thistles.


Giant Coneflower, Rudbeckia maxima












Dustin always ended his rounds of the garden conveniently 
at the driveway gate,where he sat on his Coolaroo elevated dog bed 
and conversed with his girlfriend Sophie dog across the street.
The funny thing is, on his visits to across the street, 
he was always more interested in Sophie's owner than Sophie herself.
 

Purple Coneflower, Echinacea purpurea
with, I think, Leaf Cutter Bees. 


Tarnished Plant Bug
A true bug, that as the name suggests, eats plants.

















Hairy Sunflower, Helianthus hirsutus
Flower bud getting ready to open.


Northern Bush Honeysuckle, Diervilla lonicera













When the back gate became boring, 
Dustin regally sat or laid down on one of the chaise lounges 
to bark at the moon until he fell asleep for a nap.


Bumblebee on Bradbury's Bee Balm, Monarda bradburiana











Hover Fly on 'Green Eyes Wink' Daylily (not native) 





Buttonbush, Cephalanthus occidentalis





Maybe a type of  Ambush Bug, since its head is wide.













On any of Dustin's walks with Vic, day or night, potty break or leisure;
as he approached our driveway from the street, 
he would plant his feet firmly apart and refuse to return 
to the back yard or house until Vic took him across the street 
to Sophie's house for a visit.  On days when Sophie's owner was away, 
he conned Vic into carrying him the rest of the way to the house.
Vic tells this last part differently, but don't listen to him.  


Shrubby St. John's Wort, Hypericum prolificum























Purple Coneflower growing in partial shade.









DUSTIN




He came to us because someone lost him, I guess…  anyway, this man was chasing a dog around the stopped cars way up ahead of me on that two-lane country highway to and from work.  I watched as the man threw up his hands, got back into his pickup truck, and drove off on down the road away from the dog and the line of cars stopped behind him.

The dog was stopping traffic both ways, running scared around the cars and under them.  I could see he ended up under a huge SUV stopped in the lane going the other way.  As the cars in my lane inched up the road and past the SUV, the dog exited to the side of the road.  I yelled out my window when I was one car from opposite the man in the SUV that the dog was out from under his vehicle, but I couldn’t guarantee he would stay that way.

Opening the door of my Toyota Solara with the intention of getting out to coax the little dog into my car, the little terrier bounded across the road, leaping behind my seat and onto the back seat of my vehicle like he owned the place. 

It’s funny how intentions changed with this dog, from staying outside in his own cedar doghouse with a warming pad, to totally taking over the inside of our home.  My bedroom became his bedroom, and he always tucked himself into his cave bed, when I tucked myself into my own bed. 

We could see the end coming, but we always think there will be more time.  He stood at that gate the morning of his last day as I laid down a throw rug to cushion him while he soaked up the warmth, watching and listening to the neighborhood before coming back inside. 

At 5:30 the next morning, on the 9th of June, Dustin woke Vic up and passed away on the floor as Vic comforted him.  He was fifteen years and five months old.

It sneaked up on me. this heartache that settled in after Dustin’s passing.  To not see him curled up in his favorite armchair or tucked into the sheepskin that was especially for him on the couch, the silence that once was filled with barking, the empty space by the side of my bed that once held a dog’s bed– I’m reminded over and over that our little terrier is gone.

I think my most favorite story I like to tell about him, is when he slept inside the house, but still had his beloved dog house outside.  I call it the night Dustin Went Camping.  I remember it was winter with snow on the ground, and while he was almost the perfect dog, he could be an obstinate little stinker, with a mind of his own.

After his dinner, I waited at the sliding glass door to let him back into the house when he returned from his potty break.  That little rascal came up the long ramp onto the deck and disappeared into his doghouse in two seconds flat.

My coat on, I walked across the snow to his doghouse, opened the flap, and called to him to come out.  Repeating the command several times, it was obvious he had parked his butt on the warming pad and was going nowhere.  Back in the house, I decided to play the waiting game with him.  Surely he would eventually start barking at the door.

Evening moved in, dinner was eaten, television watch, and at my bedtime, still no Dustin.  I was a bit twerked off after I opened the flap, and called him out with not a peep out of him.  It took me shoving a broom through the dog size door and flushing him out with a bit of pushing, and into the house for the night where he would be safe.  This memory always makes me smile.

To all his friends, he was the perfect gentleman.  To me he was a sweetheart with a few flaws thrown in.  To Vic he was his little buddy.

We miss him.




Maybe a Smooth Fox Terrier or Smooth Fox Terrier Mix
He had the temperment of one




































































The eager look on his face, as he impatiently waits 
for his walk with Vic around the neighborhood.









This Post Is Linked To:

42 comments:

  1. To have a dog is to experience loss. May his memory be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...a beautiful story about Dustin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Yvonne,
    I am sorry to hear that Dustin has passed, what a beautiful tribute post.
    I am glad you were able to rescue Dustin, he had a happy life and was loved.
    With time Dustin's photos will be a happy memory. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Farewell, Dustin! You gave him such a happy Forever Home after he ran away from his first owner. Love his origin story and those photos -- so cute. Wishing you hearts-ease as you mourn his passing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you've lost your sweet Dustin but glad you were able to rescue and shower him with love you had him. You provided him the perfect home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful love story. Dustin was one hell of a character for sure and you his equal. A super picture of you both there on the couch and a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweetheart! Of course you miss him. This is such a beautiful story and he obviously was meant to be your dog - he chose you! I hope all the beautiful memories you have will eventually help you over your grief. Losing a pet is like losing a family member.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Avocet (Recurvirostra avosetta)
    It's the bird with the upturned bill, the only one in the world to have this design feature. This allows it to place the flat part of the beak just below the water surface and walk forward sweeping it in an arc to ensure it doesn't miss any food particles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, what a sweet tribute to a beloved member of your family. I think dogs understand us more than we understand them, and they know - they just know, given a chance - who they belong with. May his memory be a blessing. (I enjoyed your garden photos, too)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful obituary to Dustin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful tribute to Dustin and an incredible post. I type this trying hard not to cry but I am not succeeding. I miss so many animals along the way, horses, dogs and cats and this brings back so many memories. “Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts.” Take care. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, precious Dustin, may you travel over the Rainbow Bridge with all the zest of puppy energy, and know you were loved beyond measure. As your mummy walks through the garden you so enjoyed, your spirit will dance amongst the flowers, until you are once again in each others arms. Rest in Peace sweet boy.
    So very sorry Yvonne, my thoughts are with you.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed all your garden photos...lovely tribute to Dustin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Yvonne,
    RIP sweet Dustin, you created a loving memorial post for Dustin. I enjoyed seeing all your beautiful flowers and plants. Lovely captures of the insects , flowers and your sweet Dustin. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good morning, gosh I don't know where to begin, what a grouping of incredible flowers, blooms and all around nature views, not to forget my most favorite photos of each and every dog. Animals make us better people, they are the joy of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, what a deep pain to lose a fur baby!
    What an emptiness in your heart you're feeling now, I'm sending my dearest hug to you, Dear Friend!
    Sending blessings to you
    X Daniela @ ~ My little old world ~ (Dany)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm very sad for you. He was such a good little dog and you will miss him so much. It's hard...I know! Sweet hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dustin was very lucky to have you as his parents and mentors. He seems to have been very easy to love and hard to lose.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. So much beauty in the nature images you show. The beetles look the best for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Yvonne,
    Honestly, if this post isn’t perfection, I just don’t know what perfection is. A moving, and wonderful, story of a dog named Dustin. You had me at the first few pictures, and then getting down to the full story … my oh my. As several of the earlier comments have mentioned, this is a beautiful tribute. I love the way Dustin jumped into your car and became a part of the family. I liked David’s comment: May his memory be a blessing. Of course, as usual, you threw in a lot of really great flower photos. Your garden is a real gem. I was going to try to pick out a favorite photo … but golly, I can’t … there are just too many possibilities. Thank you for this wonderful post. May you and Vic have a peaceful week ahead.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so sorry for your loss. Dustin sounded like a great companion. Cherish the memories you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm sorry to hear that Dustin passed away.
    I'm glad you were able to save him and give him lots of love.
    The loss will always remain, I had two dogs and both passed away, now we don't take a dog anymore, also given the age we are.
    I also enjoyed the flowers in the garden.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very nice tribute to Dustin. I enjoyed his story, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loving tribute to Dustin ~ I am sad for you having lost him but so glad you found each other ~ sweet post and your garden photos are lovely too ~ Hugs to you and your family ~


    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great tribute to Dustin. He sounds like a great dog with a wonderful personality. Yes, there might be some quirks but that is just they way it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a sweet post and beautiful tribute to Dustin. One can tell by your words that he had such a happy life and was lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. RIP to Dustin, he was so pleasure, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Yvonne,
    I'm so sorry for your loss! I understand you so well that you miss the little guy. I love the story of how Dustin came to you - it sounds like it HAD to be. The "camping" story is cute too. You shared 15 years together, experienced a lot, probably not always just nice and funny, but a lot that connects you. Sharing life with animals almost always means love, joy and then loss, which always comes too soon, even if it was a comparatively long animal life. You know, I speak from experience, I've lost a few little darlings too, and no matter how painful it is, I don't want to miss the time with my animals. I think you feel the same way. You wrote a beautiful obituary of Dustin and you may share your garden walks with him in the future in your imagination. You notice so many small things - that's good, because Dustin lives on in every flower and in every insect, in every leaf, every cobweb, every breath of wind, every ray of sunshine, every drop of rain.
    I send many loving hugs to you, I am thinking of you! 🌸☀️🌸
    All the best from Austria,
    Traude

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a dear remembrance. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. A lovely walk that Justin used to do. And a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  31. A beautiful and touching post filled with images of life on all levels. Dustin was a wonderful companion and family memeber.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a beautiful post.

    Big healing hugs on the loss of your Justin, but he was sure lucky that you came along and saved him.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous day and rest of the week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a beautiful tribute to your beloved Dustin.
    He was so blessed to have you as his Forever Home.
    RIP, sweet Dustin.

    Sending you lots of healing hugs, Yvonne 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm sorry I'm so late coming to your blog, especially when sharing this sad and beautiful post. I love your definition of "A sweetheart with a few flaws thrown in." That is exquisite -- such a perfect description of a dear and darling friend with loads of personality. Of course he became YOUR dog -- you saved him. I think they know that. I know that silence and I know you must miss sweet Dustin sorely -- and always will. You are right -- you know it is coming but you never think it will be that day or week or even month. My heart is aching for you -- but smiling because your experiences together were such wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a very loving tribute to Dustin. I am very sorry to hear about your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm so sorry for the loss of your dog. He sounds like a sweetheart. Your flowers are beautiful. My yard was loaded with Japanese Beetles and they will eat anything and everything, but this year I haven't seen any yet.

    ReplyDelete
  37. My heart goes out to you with tears. This is the hardest thing in life. When you are ready, please don't be afraid to love again. Bless you for the rest of you, dear friend. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  38. Sorry for your loss! What a beautiful and heart warming story about the life of your beloved dog.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I read the title, days ago, on the blogroll, and I felt sadness vibrating in my heart... I didn't come to read. Then, I came to read - hoping I misunderstood... I read, cried and left. I have come now, with pain in my heart, to write to you that I cannot express in words how sorry I am for your loss. I know this kind of emptiness from the heart...
    I looked at the pictures of Dustin smiling, smiling sadly and smiling with love - it was a miracle, he had a good life with you, and his story is touching.
    So very sorry Yvonne... I hug you dearly. 💕

    A wonderful tribute for a precious soul, Dustin.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sending you love and hugs. So sorry for you precious Dustin. You have many blessings and what amazingly beautiful captures all of them. Take good care of you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...