Friday, October 13, 2023

The Season of Pumpkins and Little Goblins




Swamp Sunflower, Helianthus angustfolius
 with a type of Sweat Bee








A Spittlebug's Bubble Home
Nymph of a Leafhopper


Eaten
What's left of a female Cardinal.


'Winterthur' Viburnum








Carpenter Bees… quite a few of these large bees have appeared after the summer was void of them.  Attracted to the Canadian Goldenrod as a source of food, the same aggressive goldenrod we removed from under the oak trees and alongside the Ninebark shrub, I didn’t have the heart to remove the rest of the goldenrod covered with Carpenter bees among other insects in the prairie garden.  I have missed these gentle giants that pesticide selling companies call the enemy.  I have learned to modify things and live with them.

The carpenter bees also seem to be finding every bit of nectar from the turtlehead plants in the damp garden that the bumblebees deserted this week.  The woodland goldenrod in the shady areas on the backside of our house is attracting the tiny types of native bees, while the woodland goldenrod to the front of the house seems to have become a victim of a certain man’s gloved hand pulling them out as weeds.  (sigh…)





Carpenter Bee on Turtlehead Flower
If no white patch on the face area, then it is female.
We place 4"x4"'s of old cedar in different areas of our garden, 
so her only alternative isn't our house for nesting. 


This charismatic bee is often labeled a villian.
She's just living life, as she was intended to live it.





Purple Coneflower seed head


Looks and feels like a little porcupine.


Blue-stemmed Goldenrod, Solidage caesia


Paper Wasp drinking at birdbath.








Clasping Aster's airy stems cover the shady areas with blue flowers, and the aromatic asters bunch like puffs of lavender speckled clouds among the other perennials and weedy plants.  The skipper butterflies adore them.  Buds on the Swamp Sunflower are opening into bright golden faces, but I have not discovered yet what will be attracted to them.

Beauty Berry Shrubs covered in magenta lavender berries clumping in puffs along the limbs, bending them towards the ground, flirt with the mockingbird and cardinals.  Spicebushes are dropping their leaves gently in any type of breeze, as are a few of the other shrubs and trees.  It is a very slow move into autumn.  The change of season is never close one door and open the next.  More as if one glides through half-opened doors and half-closed doors.






Along the back fenceline (above photo)
Winterberry 'Sparkleberry' (both photos)


White and Purple American Beautyberrys
Callicarpa americana








Solomon's Seal growing under the beautyberries 


Pretty in pink, Purple Coneflower


American Redbud leaves





I sat outside just a bit this afternoon to calm my mind – what was I thinking!?!  The thoroughfare is humming (I say that kindly) with obnoxious noises of traffic.  I watched a grey squirrel navigate a twisty limb of the ash tree to leap onto a clump of thin viburnum branches, doing a catchy dance to find one that would precariously support him, and then begin dining on its berries that are ripening to an indigo blue.

This next morning is such a change from the warmth of yesterday.  It is a crisp 50 degrees F as I open the sliding glass door to be greeted by plenty of bird calls in the garden.  Charlotte and Austin become quickly engrossed with a chatty wren on the other side of the screen, while the heat register nearby keeps them toasty warm.

I let the outside coldness play havoc with the heat register for a few hours until all’s quiet and the glass door is slid shut once more.  I’m somewhat housebound these past few months, as how I feel anymore is never “Wow!  I feel so much better now.”  So much better never comes.  I confess, I let Gardener’s World play as background chatter in a house too full of silence.





Clasping Aster with, I think, a sweat bee.


Not the best quality...  it is what it is :(











Honeybee on Aromatic Aster 'October Skies'


Some type of little bee on a Clasping Aster
Symphyotrichum patens
This is called a Clasping Aster, because the base of the leaf 
wraps partway around the stem, as if it is holding on.





Yet another day has passed, and while I stayed outside without a sweater, I sometimes wished I had one on.  Vic planted the three aromatic asters left over from spring.  They were nicely rooted in their 6” pots making the transfer out of the pot to soil rather easy.  Although topsoil was added to the area fifteen or so years ago, it was basically a pickax type of soil, poor Vic.

It’s bedtime… my reservoir of thoughts about gardens and such has evaporated into the atmosphere so fast, I seem to be wordless at this moment.

Sweet Dreams.






Coralberry, Symphoricarpos orbiculatus


Green Stinkbug NymphAcrosternum hilare


I stayed about a foot away, and whatever direction I moved to, 
it would change its course to walk towards me.


Saw Greenbrier Vine, Smilax bona-nox
with parts of the leaf deteriating, leaving a web of veins


I think this is Common Boneset, Eupatorium perfoliatum
The flowers are old and will soon produce seeds.


Leatherflower, Clematis viorna seeds.


Wistful seed







It’s difficult to approach this last day of writing in the wistfulness I truly wish for without flipping into the deep, but here goes.  We’re in that part of the year of rollercoaster rides as far as temperatures are concerned.  I’m sitting on my deck chair I share with a very persistent spider, enjoying the cool breezes and occasional traffic of the thoroughfare one house up.

Mashed avocado with crackers is on the breakfast menu, with a warm cup of Irish Breakfast tea, and a few vitamins to round it out in this lovely seventy-degree F. weather.  A titmouse bathed in the large shallow birdbath I easily see through the deck railing, then to my surprise, a few goldfinches joined the party.

It is so heavenly here, with gentle gusts of cool wind to remind one it is indeed autumn.  Real autumn returns in four days, so now is the time to enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.  The noisy birds today, I think, are titmice, with a background chatter of English sparrows.  Although not native, they seem to come with the territory these days.  I have groups of the females now bathing in the birdbath, ignoring my presence, showing me who really owns the garden.

I’m thinking of giving my derriere a break this coming November, as the pinched nerve pain has reoccurred with a vengeance.  It makes working on my photos impossible, hence, what you see with my work may be cropped, but all else is left as is in this post.  I’ve spent more time taking in this beautiful October, and not worrying much about photographs, so nothing unusual is in the finished mix.

Neighbors behind me and to the left have had their big trees cut down, so I am grateful that as I lean back in my deck chair looking out over the landscape in front of me… sandwiched between my tabletop and the underside of the big umbrella; the neighbors’ huge oak trees, left in all their gigantic beauty, lay a blanket of serenity around me.

A few heavy gusts of wind and a shower of seed stems from the old ash tree noisily rain down upon the umbrella top and deck as if vengeance is passing through.  Autumn does get messy as she lays a layer of fresh mulch upon the ground; and as I sit here, sashaying my rocker chair back and forth while eating juicy red seedless grapes washed down by icy water, the traffic mixed with bird chirps is beginning to mess with my chilled-out mood like an invasion of piranhas in for the kill.
 
I’ve begun watering the parched areas that harbor fresh plump berries and late autumn flowers to slow down their demise, as this changing weather is not as nice as the days of old.  A group of blue jays has settled in and calmed down to a few cries here and there, and as I contemplate whether to leave or stay a bit longer… it’s so peaceful if only I could just get that %$#&! traffic out of my head.
 
As I’m reminded by my persistently chatty little buddy dressed in the feathers of a chickadee, just because some things may be out of reach doesn’t mean they still can’t be enjoyed.  I love my little patch of wild that I sometimes alter, and other times nature redesigns.  It is the best achievement of my life, but I say that knowing it is already reverting out of my hands and back to nature.  Its existence will fade as I do, and end when I end.  No matter… it is for my eyes only, and my eyes find it intoxicating.




Geodes from a friend, 
and collected lake rocks from construction sites.


Liatris aspera, Tall Blazing Star
The tall stems sometimes grow a little wonky if no support.
The phenomenon for this flower is called Fasciation,
where the plant grows elaborately contorted tissue.
It is also known as Cresting. 


Monarda bradburiana, also called Eastern Bee Balm


Great Blue Lobelia, Lobelia siphilitica
with golden-green sweat bee











Large mushroom is about 2" across.





Several days later they were hard to the touch.











Austin Daydreaming 








This Post Is Linked To:

35 comments:

  1. What beautiful photos.
    The blue flowers and mushrooms are my favorite.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Yvonne,
    Cute photo of Austin daydreaming near the window. Your flowers, insects and bee captures are beautiful. I enjoy reading about your garden and time spent sitting outdoors listening to the birds chirping around you. Sounds peaceful. Our mornings are in the 40's now, too chilly for me to sit outside. Beautiful post and photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your critter post. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post! Your photos and words paint such a vivid picture of your world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lovely little nature preserve. We naturalized our garden several years ago and proudly grow goldenrod for the pollinators, butterfly milkweeds, swamp milkweed, echinacea etc. When we sit on the patio sipping wine and nibbling cheese we have the finest company, and a humming chorus too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your insect and flower photos are very pretty. They do capture the coming of cooler weather and changing seasons.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...thanks for the tour, my garden has given up the ghost and I trying to put to bed for the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those beautyberries are such a gorgeous, vibrant colour! Love the look of the mushroom photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely captures of the nature and its beautiful inhabitants!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Yvonne :=)
    Your words paint a vivid picture of you in your garden, It's wonderful to sit outside observing and appreciating nature in all ts forms. Your colourful photos of berries and flowers are lovely.The Carpenter bee is different than the ones I see here which are all black in appearance. They do no harm at all, and I'm always happy to see them in my garden When one is sitting quietly we do see more than we would walking round the garden. The little Sting bug nymph is a very attractive and so are the mushrooms, and I just love your blue Asters
    Thank you for a look into your wonderful garden, and for this post which must have been a marathon effort for you to do, but you can be sure it is greatly appreciated.
    Best wishes from your friend in Portugal
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Yvonne,
    First of all, I’ve got to go back to the comment you left for me on July 22nd. The post you were commenting on … My Cottonwood Tree Experiment … was my last post before taking a LONG blog break until September 26th. So, it’s just recently that I’ve gotten back into the blog routine. I just wanted to say how much I appreciated your comment about my Cottonwood Tree Experiment. I finally did do an update on how my tree has grown and published that one at the link below …

    https://john-s-island.blogspot.com/2023/09/power-of-nature.html

    Now, about your post, The Season of Pumpkins and Little Goblins. Wonderful selection of photos! Neat pics of the Carpenter Bee on the flower … “She's just living life, as she was intended to live it.” … Love that! “The change of season is never close one door and open the next. More as if one glides through half-opened doors and half-closed doors.” So true.

    “Clasping Aster with, I think, a sweat bee.” Beautiful shots.

    I so understand this: “as I sit here, sashaying my rocker chair back and forth while eating juicy red seedless grapes washed down by icy water, the traffic mixed with bird chirps is beginning to mess with my chilled-out mood like an invasion of piranhas in for the kill.” Wow, you are a writer, but, of course, I already knew that. 😊 Love your garden, and the photos, and thank you, Yvonne for sharing this wonderful post. John

    ReplyDelete
  11. The floral portraits are outstanding! The bee has such a fine detail about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am ready for the change in season.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's such a great time of year to spend outdoors before it gets cold. Love all the tiny creatures you've photographed! They are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed both your commentary and your photos. The female cardinal made me sad but such is nature. This morning, walking in the local park, I saw a deceased yellow rumped warbler(I think) lying on the edge of the path. It must have been migrating and somehow met its end during the night, and I'll never know the story of why. I also enjoy bees working the Turtleheads in my shady back yard. When the weather was warmer I would sit out there with my laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These were lovely! Your photos and your narrative. I love your attitude. There is so much good stuff here. A week's worth of wonderful posts! I do hope I didn't miss anything. Best wishes to you and thank you for your visit. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  16. We're still riding a weather roller coaster too. Although our fall temperatures probably never get as cool as yours (frost is a foreign concept), I do appreciate the cooler mornings and resent summer's periodic efforts to reassert itself, as it's done once again this weekend. You swamp sunflowers are cheerful and I love the beautyberries, plants I've never found in my area even though there's supposed to be a variety that can handle conditions here along the California coast. I'm a little in love with that Lobelia and have to look into its water requirements - it looks like something that wants moist soil, which I can't provide.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos. I like your last photo very much. I have two cats here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As ever, your knowledge of all things creepy and crawly astounds. What a wonderful garden you have to hold do much of interest to us mere mortals. It's great too how you make a home for Carpenter Bees when so many people would destroy their homes. If only we all had you rounded and sympathetic view of the world around us. Enjoy your week Yvonne. Today has been a beautiful October morning - cool, no wind, no rain, a morning enjoying nature and the real world without worrying about the nasty world we inhabit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There is much to soak in here, including the charming little rabbit in the rocks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So much to see and read on your post, I enjoyed it ... thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely photos of nature. Your narrative paints a wonderful story to go along with your photos. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those purple berries. Oh my! How splendid! All your garden photos simply sing (or buzz) with beauty. And your words are lyrical and poetic as well. I'm not bonding with our October weather. Up north it was cold and wet -- raining almost every day except for two or three over two weeks. And temps dipping into the 30s, rarely more than 50, apart from said days. I thought coming south (two hours) to home would be better. Only slightly. Still ran and gloomy but 10 degrees warmer. You seem to take it far better than I!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Yvonne ~ Magnificent post about nature and divine photography of nature's gifts ~ love the stone dog and sweet kitty resting ~ thanks so much ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)
    `

    ReplyDelete
  24. So lovely! We have the Lobelia siphilitica in common - such a vivid blue! Happy GBBD/week :) - Julie Witmer, formerly WMG

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good morning Yvonne :=)
    The only solution I can come up with is to grow other plants as colourful and long lasting as the geraniums, and let the caterpillars eat their way through the geraniums. I believe that geraniums are not a native species and also come from southern Africa.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful post!
    I've never see a carpenter bee, or those lovely beauty berries.
    Love all the flowers and the colour of the mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great poetic post.
    We have lots of beautyberries in the wild here in northest Oklahoma. Some of my friends call them blueberries and proceed to wipe out whole stands of them. Drives me crazy. I guess the native Americans used them for medicinal purpose but they supposedly don't taste very good at all.
    Great idea for the carpenter bees, laying out strips of cedar. Our old house was used for housing by a bunch of carpenter bees.
    I'm working on a project for the biology department of the University of Oklahoma. Every two weeks I go out in the woods of our Turkey Mountain Urban Wilderness Area and set out traps for native pollinators and then collect them the next day. The professor I am working for said that he is most interested in the tiny pollinators have just a few millimeters in size so he said to make sure I preserved all those after I poured the trapping solution through the sieve. He said those are the most important pollinators. I had never heard of such a thing. After I collect and put the bugs in tubes I put the tubes in our family freezer. My wife is not really a fan of this but she looks the other wayh.
    I love purple coneflowers through their whole life cycle. They are the most beautiful plants I have seen. I finally convinced my wife just to let them be in the fall as I still love them.
    I am not much of a gardener or an insect guy but I know what I like.

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are beautiful flower portraits that captures the beauty of nature.
    You can check out my new post here: https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/10/retirement-dilemma-selling-your-home-for-care-costs.html

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  29. A wonderful set of photos, well done. We have lots of Carpenter bees here but that are quite different to yours to look at. Interesting. I hope all is well, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's wonderful that you can observe - and you know how to observe - how autumn is always changing. I know I've written before: I love how you tell stories, how you illustrate life in your garden.
    What you write is more than "a blog article". For me, your blog is a storybook in which people, animals, insects and all plants manage to live in harmony.
    I also felt the splashes of melancholy between the words, but I avoid focusing on them.
    I leave here smiling, with the image of Austin in mind. :-)
    All the best! <3

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am enjoying your amazing fall views and photography. You have captured the essence of the season beautifully. The Beautyberry, Sunflowers, dried seed heads, mushrooms and bee captures are my favorites, but I actually love them all! Happy autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Those first few pictures of the Swamp Sunflower are gorgeous. This year the one Swamp Sunflower I have in my garden has been doing wonderfully, thanks to a very wet winter. Your garden must be lovely, judging from the beautiful photos. I also have a mainly native garden with some drought tolerant plants from the Mediterranean and South Africa, and the Swamp Sunflower as the exception, but it got established in the garden, even though it doesn't get much water. I hope your pinched nerve will get better - I have been dealing with that for the last few months and it hasn't been pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  33. just know from you that Paper Wasp drink water.....
    thank you for sharing beautiful photos and details

    ReplyDelete
  34. You have a gift for words that can paint vivid pictures of your world.
    Love the photos, Yvonne.

    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...