Sunday, January 21, 2024

January Blues


DREAMS

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.
Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.







When I was a youngster, I thought everything would be within my reach at some stage in my life.  Then I became immersed in the sea of job hunting, and feeling like I was sinking to the bottom of the ocean.

I could sell myself well in interviews, so while I was expected to jump right in as a seasoned employee, I was not a seasoned employee.  The struggles were immense to overcome, but it was the only way I could get jobs that paid me enough to survive with a roof over my head and food.

It was a crap way to work, but I was on my own with help coming from nowhere.  I worked hard, was sometimes out of my depth, but lucky; and it was the best I could do for myself.  I suppose that is all we can ever hope for.

Dreams were downgraded year after year until any that were left became sand sifting through my fingers into oblivion.  I improvised.  If one door closed on me, another one was found that I could enter.  I never settled for less, I settled for different.

Was this ideal?  Probably not, but I worked my butt off with what I had to use, and that’s as good as it gets.  I suffer bouts of depression these days from feeling like I should have been able to do better.  It’s such a lonely place… this feeling of despair, and such a deep hole to dig oneself out of.

So… I guess this is your middle of January gloomy doomy blues of a post to fit the season.  I let go of the last dream I clung to ages ago, so maybe that is why life sometimes feels like a barren field frozen with snow, but never a broken-winged bird.

I have cats to soothe me and a garden to dream about.  I also have Peperomia houseplants waiting to be repotted, a sister, a niece, across the street friend and a cross country schoolmate to keep in touch with.  It’s a small world, but a rich world.  It’s the best I can do, so I guess it’s enough.

As I step out onto my front porch with birdseed in hand, the eight-inch-deep snow is more like four-inch puffy clouds of snow still melting in this deep freeze of sometimes minus F. temperatures.  Next Monday we begin to thaw.

I will not miss the fear of electricity going out, but I will miss this lovely phenomenon of dry snow, when at the moment the burden of its own weight on a tree bough becomes too much, it falls like a sheet of fluffy white to the ground below… at times on its own and other times with help from a bird.  Mesmerizing!

Sometimes I end by saying ‘stay warm’, but it is also nice to brave the cold and let it immerse you with the spirit of winter and all its complexities.  The cold’s beauty can rival any spring day, for minds that are wide open.  Take care.




Photos including sunset taken week before Christmas.
Other photos taken in January.


Invasive English Ivy (green leaf) (above photo)

Native evergreen wild ginger, Hexastylis arifolia (below)


Some type of winter annual


I believe this is a Cooper's Hawk.
I opened the front door just as this hawk swooped in 
between the house and porch post and flew past my face 
and out through two more porch posts, to the street 
and back again to perch on the dogwood tree 
by the front door steps.


After maybe a five minute stay, it took off 
and flew out between the tall juniper tree and redbud tree 
to hunt elsewhere. 
A breathtaking experience!
(Photo taken through storm door glass, so not the best quality)


The garden out front had a peachy glow,
so I knew there was a pretty sunset on the backside of the house.


Winterberry fruit that is cracked open on a rainy day.
The other seed is from the White Ash tree.


Empty Black Walnut half shell left by squirrel.


Coral Berry or Buck Bush with its berries that last most of winter.


Front of house on a sunny day.





An old type of Narcissis that comes up early,
but waits until it begins to warm up before blooming.


Maybe a House Finch,
 taken through a screened window during snow storm.


Winterberry in snow storm


After 8 to 9 inches of snow has fallen.
We will be seven days below freezing 
with sometimes single digits or minus digits 
in the evenings.


Since this week is never above freezing, 
except a short time one day
this slight snow melt is due to the sun shining.
Some days remain cloudy with no snow melt.


Beautiful male Cardinal







This Post Is Linked To:

27 comments:

  1. Very thoughtful words. Loved your pictures too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful images.
    January is a month in which many people are gloomy, see little sun and are also cold. If you are sensitive to that, this is not a nice month for you.
    I hope you enjoy the birds and the snow.
    I wish you a beautiful Sunday.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. You are always so kind to me.

      Delete
  3. The leaves in water puddle and light rain are just poetic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain has a way of making the common place very poetic. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. It’s a great experience to have a Cooper’s Hawk visit your garden, but your songbird population may diminish in short order. Most will stay away but some will fall victim to this efficient predator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...I always worked for myself and there were many years in the beginning that I thought, this wasn't going to work. My wife and are hard workers and things worked out well. Retirement is sweet. Take care and stay warm and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Retirement is the icing on the cake.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful post and images. Love the Hawk, House Finch and the Cardinal. I hope this cold winter weather eases up soon, it is too cold. Take care, stay warm and safe. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear you're feeling down about life. There's no point in playing the "What if?" game. Those past choices and experiences are water under the bridge now and can't be changed. Ruminating on alternate scenarios and lost dreams simply feeds torment. I try to focus on the here and now, looking for the positive in it. That's not always easy to do, I know, but I find it beats the alternative. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comment. A big hug to you, also.

      Delete
  8. Hi Yvonne!
    The lyrics at the beginning are great!
    Your words, in which one guesses, from place to place, the sadness, went to my soul. You manage to find beauty anywhere and, I think, that means you have a young soul.
    How many people can "brag" that they saw the hawk so close from the comfort of their home?! :-)
    I love the way you observe and describe nature! And I like snow. :-)
    I wish you to be well! Hugs! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the kindest person. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

      Delete
  9. I had also meant to add that I was happy to be reminded that Langston Hughes was a fine poet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sensitive but also powerfully written and that proves that you are then also a strong person. Life is with trial and error and with a lot learning involved. And this month's blues many people receive when it is cold, wet outside. That's not exactly uplifting either. Depression lurks then to take you captive. But writing what you did now can help a lot and also taking beautiful pictures and you had done that. It is much colder where you live than here in Holland and maybe a new challenge can help you get over depression e.g. a new hobby. When I feel down I draw and color mandalas and they give me peace. But also walking in the snow and taking pictures gives new energy and positivity. I found the photo of the birds of prey super beautiful just like the others. Hope you will feel better soon. Hugs and greetings from me Tine NL

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautifully written, an outpouring from the heart! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is lovely,Yvonne, and I suspect many of us can relate to times when we felt far out of our depth and were sort of winging it, wondering if we'd ever be enough. But you survived. We did. And now we have more control over our lives than when we were working. I know what you mean about January. I don't get that down feeling so much in January but by mid-February, I can almost count on it. I keep trying to find many things to keep me busy when that happens but they tend to be the "should do" instead of the "really want to do" things. You do have some lovely diversions, even if the blooms don't come for a bit. (That's when I head to the store and get some flowers!). And your cats. I hope you can find at least one or two bits of joy in a day -- and more with every passing one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your ability to find solace in the small joys of nature, companionship with cats, and connections with loved ones is inspiring, Yvonne.
    Love this heartfelt post and the gorgeous photos.

    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete

  14. It sounds like you've been through a lot, but you're still finding beauty and joy in the small things. The photos are gorgeous! The bird pictures are stunning, and the winter landscapes are serene and poetic. You have a real eye for capturing the essence of a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Yvonne,
    I wanted to stop back and say thank you for linking up your post. I enjoy your birds , the poem and your photos are all lovely. January flew by and in a couple of days February will be here. I am looking forward to spring. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your site and content. thanks for sharing the information keep updating,
    looking forward for more posts. Thanks( Sports News )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Yvonne, as you can see, it takes a while to get here for me too, even though I love your blog. Thank you for your sweet comment!
    I'm definitely holding on to my dreams - or trying to make some of them come true. But of course every life is doomed not to be exclusively a dream life. We all have to work (or have had to for decades) to live and sometimes the work sucks. It was no different for me - out of 42 professional years, around 30 were unpleasant. But I'm definitely not going to ruin my retirement years with these thoughts - I've always tried not to ruin my free time when I came home from work with such thoughts. We did what we could and had to, that's it. It's good that you tell yourself what you have - much better than telling yourself what you don't have. And I see so many wonderful things in your photos. A garden full of beautiful nature, wonderful birds, and you have your sweet cats in the house. There are people who have practically "everything" - and yet are unhappy and feel empty - compared to that, we are definitely RICH.
    Your adventure with the Cooper's Hawk sounds exciting and breathtaking. So nice that you were able to take a photo of him too!
    The experience you wrote to me in your comment about your tumble over a footstool sounds much less nice. I breathe a sigh of relief that it went well again and that you didn't break anything, but experienced "just" pain. It's bad enough because I know you're in pain even without falling. Still, it could have been worse and I'm glad you're mostly okay.
    I now say goodbye for a while and start my recently announced blog break 😘 - with one more “last posting before” and warm greetings 🙋 . Stay healthy - we'll read again!
    All the best, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/01/im-zoo-mit-dem-enkel-weitere-ausfluge.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I guess we all have to adjust our expectations in the working world and then again later to what it means to grow old (I'm still working on the latter.)
    Back in the day, it was probably easier for me to adjust to whatever my job offered or didn't offer because I didn't have the education or skills really to be anything but grateful to have a job where I could contribute something. I really learned on the job and mostly was grateful (except for a few of the people including especially my last boss).

    It looks soooo cold at your house, hope it is better by now. But you do have lovely views out of your window (or glass door as the case may be) -- the birds and the magic hidden plants hoping for spring to come. Your photos even make interesting monochromatic pictures out of brown winter. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. such a pretty verse, i remember reciting it when i was younger. i also remembering feeling the same way..."When I was a youngster, I thought everything would be within my reach at some stage in my life". i enjoy seeing hawks, just not in my yard, they are not kind to my song birds!! pretty snow!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...