Tuesday, July 21, 2020

A Day in the Life of a Piece of Thread

It never happens...you know...a rewind in life.  We only have memories to replay when life throws a curve ball our way.      

I'm still hurting over losing my little Persian, Zoe, from heart disease.  She loved to lie on the carpeted shelf of her cat tree and gaze beyond her room into the prairie gardens beneath and the neighbor's yard next door.

Other times she would tuck herself into the tunnel of the bedroom cat tree and watch the birds bathe and squirrels frolic in the woodland wildflower gardens out back, but the day would always begin with her perched on her cushioned stool by the front window with its excellent view of all those tasty birds flying in to grab a meal at the hanging feeder.

So here's to my Zoe.  She never passed up a first-class view of the gardens and the world beyond in all of her fifteen years.


Love you, my sweet one...love you forever.

Zoe's introduction to the family ~










Mmmmmm...how do I catch one of these tasty buggers?








Green June Beetle








What do you mean they're only photos on a page,
and all I can do is look?!?




Welcome to the middle of summer in little fourth acre gardens, where only those who want to feel like burnt bread popping out of a toaster stand in the sun very long.  The cicadas revved up for a while early morning and are silent now as the sun rises higher to torment my yard below.   Licorice scent of the summersweet shrubs is drifting through the air brushing away all cares of my world at this moment.












Toesies








Go ahead, big guy...pet my head!







Yesterday's time marched to the flow of the watering hose.  A large green ash tree takes up most of the air space in back.  It's a handful to take care of.  The ash stresses out if rain falls too much in the spring; rain always falls too much in the spring.  It stresses out if not enough rain falls through the summer; rain never falls enough through the summer.  An arborist treats it every other year to protect it from the emerald ash borer.  It's close to being worth a fortune by now.




Pots of herbs along the south facing fence





Spinning a web between leaves














There's monsters in the backyard at night.
Daddy takes me to the mailbox out front after dark.
It's his safe place.  Forget the mailbox_
My safe place is under mommy's bed!




The make-up of plant life in my backyard seems conducive to attracting a plague of mosquitoes for dinnertime; therefore one enjoys the deck and patio in the mornings, and retreats to the front porch for the afternoons.  As I sit enjoying conversation in the waning light of a day ending, it is noticeable that the lightning bugs and cicadas are fewer this year than the year before.

It is a mind-altering observation to realize that each living creature's existence is but a piece of thread in the fabric of the entire cosmos, and quite invisible when viewed as a whole.  We could lose the entire earth and not see even a pin hole develop in the fabric.  Makes one feel a bit inconsequential in the entirety of existence.           




Incoming carpenter bee...



















(sigh...) flowers...who cares...


Was that the cat food can being opened?




BYE!!!

8 comments:

  1. Losing a four legged member of the family is always heart breaking, My thoughts are with you.
    Many thanks Yvonne for the kind comment on my blog, it is very welcome. Stay safe and have a good day. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss. It's crazy how critters can grab our hearts.
    Loving your garden colors and variety a lot on my winter day.

    It's great to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain. It's never easy losing our beloved fur babies.

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about Zoe. I know how hard it is to lose a treasured pet. Zoe reminds me a lot of our Stick Tail. He lived with us in many places, and became my mothers companion in her last years. I don't know what kind he was, he came through our kitty door one day and adopted us. Here's his last post. https://powellriverbooks.blogspot.com/2014/01/sleep-tight-job-well-done.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have hopped to your blog from Rhodesia’s. I’m so sorry about the loss of your beautiful kitty. It is very hard to lose a loving pet. About a year after we moved to Nashville my husband died, then his affectionate cat Cody died 8 months later – was very difficult time. I still have my Korat cat, Mitsouko, and that is a great help.

    You have a lovely garden. In greater Atlanta we had over an acre and many pine trees, no garden though because my husband who worked for the GA Wildlife Federation wanted to keep everything “natural and wild.” Here in Nashville I just have a tiny back yard, but still had 6 trees planted last spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Zoe! I know the pain of losing a dear cat very much. We lost our ragamuffin cat s few months after we moved to Colorado. he was 16 years old and our vet told us large cats don't live as long as smaller cats. It is 7 years an I am still heartbroken.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart is heavy, knowing you have lost your sweet Zoe.
    She was such a beauty, and having lost my own cat Oliver just a week ago, I understand your pain and emptiness.
    I take comfort in looking back at his pictures and holding on to his memories, as you do, there's an empty space left in our hearts.
    Thank you for your lovely comments on Oliver's passing, they truly meant a lot.
    Hugs dear friend,
    ~Jo
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely captures of flowers and critters...
    All the best!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...