Friday, August 26, 2022

Important Stuff

 
Only the spider paid no mind when the unicorn called softly to her through the open door.  Arachne was busy with a web which looked to her as through the Milky Way had begun to fall like snow.  The unicorn whispered, "Weaver, freedom is better, freedom is better", but the spider fled unhearing up and down her iron loom.
        
        ~ Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn 



You know… when one’s sitting in the powder room, staring mindlessly at that scummy bathtub just three feet away, it’s totally impossible for the eyes not to take a nosedive straight down the convergence of tub and wall to that boring area just inches above the floor, and discover an industrialist tiny black speck of a spider waiting in its web. 

After that discovery, the first line of inquiry on each powder room visit seemed to always be, eyeballing that tiny speck of terror; and if it had vanished, wondering if it was hidden under the jutting edge of the tub side for a nap, or if it had - horror of horrors – moved to another room and out of one’s control.

After reading a little article on insects in one’s home, it’s fascinating that it suggested leaving spiders alone to feast on other littler insects in one’s collection of rooms.  If one has ever seen a spider egg sack hatch and watched a gazillion (just a tiny exaggeration) minute creepy crawlies scattering for independence, one gets the feeling that isn’t such a capital idea.

It was time to declare the home as one’s own, and not the property of spiderdom, after the web doubled in size as a week passed by.  A tongue depressor confiscated from the crafts room, and an old Regal Entertainment Group quart size Coco-Cola cup stored under the kitchen sink for decades… all one needed to whisk that little tyke to outdoor freedom and a world of predation.

Best of luck, little one!




Each year it’s a given something, or somethings will work on the chimney cap and/or metal chase cover to try to break in and discover greener pastures.  We’ve had many delusional starlings during past years, and the same this year, or so one thought.  The racket lasted for days, but each trek to the outer edges of the garden and looking up at the chimney revealed nothing, except on one such outing the noise was indeed heard but no critter sighted.  That tenacity was becoming quite annoying.

Sitting at the computer and working on photos, it was fortuitous I heard the moment victory was achieved, announced by a fleeting two seconds of claws scraping on metal as it descended like a flash into the bowels of hell, landing with a thud.  It fell somehow to the crawl space under the house.  Forthwith, the objective was a prison escape clawing one’s way through concrete walls and metal grating.

Now you and I both know only a skeleton will remain with that kind of absurd thinking, but this little tyke was not a builder of family homes for people, so what did it know.  The clawing was incessant with darkness calming it down.  It was feared Animal Pro wouldn’t make it here in time, as the scratching quit for a day, then reappeared more subtle.  The minute the crawl space door was opened, it was confirmed to be a grey squirrel staring back at the guy.


It would be a perfect world if animals knew an open door meant escape, but somehow it never registers as such.  Two traps set with sunflower seeds and peanuts, and snap… got you!  The company relocates creatures to a farm they rent for the services, but relocations never works when the animal is unfamiliar with its surroundings and has no food storage for winter.  I felt somewhat sad about this ending... that is, until a chew hole where chimney meets roof was discovered, and part of the siding on the chimney corner was pulled loose.




There’s nothing like a Hornet flying amongst the pots of shrubs and herbs on the patio to make one take notice.  I have a healthy fear of them.  Looking up online just confused the matter, as I didn’t know we have a Ground Hornet called ‘The Cicada Killer’.  Ominous name isn’t it… especially for any Cicada nearby.  Now I have no idea which type of hornet I dodged.

The Honeybees are making themselves too much at home with the birdbaths.  I read their preference is dirty water, the filthier the better.  The ones here prefer whatever is available, bird poop dirty or water hose fresh.  They display no pickiness as to a preference.  Walking past the birdbath to turn towards the bird feeder, I usually touch the side to steady myself.  This stirs them up, and six or more disturbed bees make me a bit antsy.  I must admit, I feel safer among the gentle giant Carpenter Bees.

A few days ago, turning around from food preparation at the stove, a tiny black blur hung in front of my nose.  Oh great, yet another tiny spider caught in my hair while rummaging in the garden greenery earlier.  Pushing my glasses up revealed it to be the tiniest jumping spider I have ever met with tiny red whatever those little things are it uses to catch food.  It hung on a silk thread from the overhead light fixture, just dropping in for a meet and greet.  I broke its silk thread and placed it on a saucer for a ride out the front door and onto the porch railing.  It returned the favor with a frown.  I’m sure its plotting some kind of re-entry. 

You might have noticed; I live a very exciting life.  Eat your hearts out, blogging friends.

Just after my last blog post, I was stressing out thinking I was going to lose Lacey from starvation, as she was only drinking the broth from the Tiki Cat Chicken and Broth food… the dried-up chicken part always thrown out.  She only licked food, never chewed food.  The new medication takes weeks to work, so I was desperate to buy time with anything that she might eat by licking up, and that is when Gerber Turkey and Gravy baby food entered the scene and saved the day for now.

Although she lost another pound and feels like skin and bones, she looks better in the face and has started eating a bit of solid food, but as any cat person knows, just because she ate it today doesn't mean she'll eat it again tomorrow.  It’s been a steep learning curve pilling her by hand, as there is no option to say I can’t do it.  The only option is to figure out how I can do it.

I’m worn out and tired, tired, tired.  On the better hand, my neck pain has lessened, and I start back to physical therapy next week.  An epidural in my hip/spine area has lessened the pain in sitting.  Thanks for reading this far in my mini-book.  A few photographs here and there follow… I do enjoy my walk time along the garden paths before those pesky mosquitoes come in for a taste test.  




'Laura' Garden Phlox


Cicada Exoskeleton 





Cicada that died from old age.
It later became dog food when Dustin made his garden rounds.


'Jeana' Garden Phlox aging with unripe Beautyberries behind.


Callicarpa Americana var. lactea
American Beautyberry plant with white berries


Moss on moss


Green Metallic Sweat Bee on flowering wildflower 
(unknown weed, but I like it)


Butterflyweed seed pod


Turtlehead 'Hot Lips' Flowers


Large Flowered Bellwort with drought damage


This is how you know your bird feeder
 was visited by an Opossum during the night.


Twin Spot Skipper Butterfly, maybe.


I think this is a Potter Wasp nest
in our shade umbrella's crank arm.


Maybe a Small Carpenter Bee, of the genus Ceratina.
and not closely related to the more familiar Carpenter Bees.
They make nests in dead wood, stems, or pith, 
and are usually solitary, but some may be subsocial, .





Male Carpenter Bee
on Tall Blazing Star, Liatris aspera








Part of front yard island bed









This Post Is Linked To:

23 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I am glad the squirrel visitor was removed from your house. The cicadas are so creepy looking. I hope Lacey is eating well and gaining some weight. Your garden, flowers and insect photos are beautiful, well captured. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Potter Wasps love to clog this up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a spider that lives in my office, and he (or perhaps she, but I will use 'he'), visits me quite regularly. As I sit at my computer pecking out two-fingered words, he is happy to wander over, around and through the papers on my desk. I think that, so far as spiders and humans can have a relationship, we have become quite fond of each other. He is not very big and I am always aware that I have to be conscious of that size discrepancy so that I neither intimidate nor crush him. So far, all is well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has been a study that suggests jumping spiders recognize different faces, so who knows., maybe your spider friend is really a friend as far as a spider can be a friend. Sounds like a relationship to look forward to when in your office.

      Delete
  4. Hugs to you and Lacey cat. I hope the baby food gravy helps sustain her -- clever idea! And I hope your neck and back pain continue to improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. She is so fragile, and this is always in my head when I medicate her. As for me, pain seems to be my bed buddy for eternity. I adapt.

      Delete
  5. Your thoughts on home invasions are really enjoyable to read! I think it's necessary to be open minded about all the fellow inhabitants who presumably think our "property" is just as much theirs as ours. Spiders are especially our friends -- I was really happy recently when on the tundra north of the Arctic Circle to see a spider!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you continue to feel better this coming week. We have some pesky little caterpillars that like to come in at this time of year. At least they are tiny and easy to dispose of!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully written, I love the photos.
    Photo 15 is my favorite.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden looks beautiful. I have never seen white callicarpa before. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am surprised at you Yvonne. I didn't imagine you phased by creepy crawlies. I don't like wasps for obvious reasons and I'm not keen on slugs. Otherwise live and let live. I enjoyed your photos again. Have a bug free week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, come on :) I slept with a spider once, and it repaid me with three bites on my leg. What kind of love is that? I AM phased by some creepy crawlies, especially long legged centipedes that run like lightning. I've had them on my arms and legs before...yuck! A cockroach as a house buddy... forget it.

      Delete
  10. These are fun adventures! I agree about the spider. One is great, but...
    Lovely garden photos. Our chimney attracts the bats. They are fun to catch and put outside. I have a turtlehead plant that I need to move. I didn't know the name, so thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Turtlehead plants love moisture. They do well in a bog area. If happy, they slowly multiply, and are so beautiful when many are blooming.

      Delete
  11. You sound very tired. I hope the neck pain continues to ease and PT helps. And sending all good love to Lacey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spider post is thought provoking. Great post and photos

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would be wary of wasps and spiders. Hope Lacey will continue to feed on the baby food and continue with some solid food to get her on the road to recovery. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marvelous post and photos of nature's gems ~ fascinating world you write about and photograph and it is right in front of us ~ such gifts to see and study ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have the most interesting quarter acre in the world and I love reading about life there. I am not phobic about creepy-crawlers (unless they are roaches -- then I'm phobic), but draw the line at bathing or sleeping with them -- even the good guys like the spiders must go (outside if I have time and patience but must confess I don't always). I love that you seem to always have that patience. The squirrel story made me laugh. And I'm sorry, but I can't help but hear my dad's voice saying "don't worry kids, the squirrel has gone to live on a lovely farm...." (I hope it's truer in the case of yours!). .... Glad you are starting to find some relief for the pain an hope it continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A wonderful and witty read and beautiful photos. Your notes about Lacey is too familiar as our kitty is doing the same thing with food. He started eating Temptations chicken treats lately, so we give him a good handful of it. I hope Lacey continues to eat and both of you continue to do better.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoyed reading your adventures with spiders and hornets! Heres wishing Lacey speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoyed your post. I read with interest your remarks about the Gerber Turkey and Gravy food as we have a cat who licks the wet cat food we give her. She eats kibble but we would like to eat more wet food.

    ReplyDelete
  19. many interesting things in your garden. We don´t have Cikadas, not sure I should be happy or sad about it. :) Love the wood-dog in the last shot. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...