Monday, October 10, 2022

Ebb and Flow


Austin trying to fit on my lap.




There’s a sadness that overwhelms me at times.  I feel invisible with no value…empty.  My dreams are plagued with these feelings, on and on and on, until mercifully I wake up.  It’s so tiring pulling myself up out of melancholy, only to trip and fall back into it.

Sitting outside, I thought I would feel better, but sixty-degree weather is a bit more chilling out than I really want.  I cool enough refilling the bird baths.  How can it be that every time I check out the living room and bedroom windows, the baths are always bone dry with winterberry seeds left in the bowls and deposited around the edges?

I’ve been applying tape across the sliding glass doors and the front storm door to stop the juvenile Cardinals from colliding with the glass.  Robins seem to be the bird of choice in the back yard feasting on the winterberries and taking baths, so problem solved with the disappearing water and orange seed mess left as a thank you.

I’m writing this in Charlotte’s Room.  I tried calling it the studio, but no art or crafts; always the name reverts to my workroom which sounds like a drudge; and now that I think of it, Charlotte’s Room just reminds me of Lacey in a negative way.  It was Charlotte’s refuge when Lacey went after her.  I’m over thinking all of this.  It’s simply – My Quiet Place, where all pets have free reign, but husband only by invitation.

I’ve been reading about mindfulness, and it’s a concept I find difficult to embrace.  I seem to be constantly reminding myself that I am not practicing it and having to reboot.  One of the quotes I picked up on today is - “Just as a snake sheds its skin, we must shed our past over and over again.”  That’s a task I seldom excel at; hence, all those melancholy dreams.

There’s a strange feeling to this garden today.  Pale signs of autumn are in the air, but look around a corner and you will think it’s still a month ago.  The difference is the temperatures plunging from 99 degrees F. to 72 degrees high in one day, and never rising above low 80’s ever again.

While I walk along the pathways, the ebb and flow of the cool breeze is subtly different.  It is as if winter is lightly breathing in and out, blowing a coolness across the garden that sharpens the mornings and leaves the afternoons almost, but not quite, warm.  It will creep in on cat paws and dance across the grass, then without warning change the morning dew to frost, and the frost eventually to a deep freeze.

The anticipation of winter chills me to the bone.








Honeybee visiting Asters


Skipper Butterfly


The room I disappear into ~
also known as Charlotte's Room
I'm not a pink lover, and this room was a neon fushia when we moved in, 
so... for some reason,
I repainted it a pale ash pink, and added stenciled edging.
The closet door opened out onto the window,
therefore, it has resided in the attic for thirty odd years.


The first piece of artwork I ever bought.
I was sixteen, and accompanied mom to a tiny store of mostly used junk.
It's a pastel from one of the town's budding artist at that time.  


Something was very hungry.

 
Euonymus americanus





I have a fondness for Italian pottery
and
of course...


CATS
From an artist in Ukraine
Dry brush oil painting


MIlkweed Vine


Winterberry Berries


Heuchera americana


Birdbath


'Minnaloushe'
Purchased while in my early twenties 
visiting an artist coop in Reno, Nevada with my mom
 while dad, not an art lover, waited in the car.
I still love it.


Just a fun print, greeting me as I walk into my room.


Maybe a Small Carpenter Bee on Blue Stemed Goldenrod





Swamp Sunflower


The little antique brass duck lamp finial,
bought at a Virginia City, Nevada antique store
when I was in high school.
The rest is new... vase and rabbit from Japan,
and hand painted plate from Sweden.
The ancient coral piece I found in a river bed fifteen years ago in Tennessee.  


From an artist in Ukraine





Spittlebug's Bubble Home


Bumblebee on Aster 'Paten'


A fancy table with no purpose.
The cat bowls are underneath, so we shall say it provides the place
where X marks the eating spot.


Sand from my parents yard where I walked barefoot as a child.
It was crazy scooping up sand as a momento,
but I still have it these many years.


Aster going to seed.


Honeybee on Swamp Sunflower


Skipper Butterfly


French Limoges handpainted plate
signed by Pierre Lenoir, an architect who lived
between end of 19th century and first half of 20th century.





Rudbeckia maxima
veinwork of leaf


Joe Pye Weed Seed


Great Spangled Fritillary (Speyeria cybele)
on aromatic aster





Mommy says it's almost impossible to photograph me. 


The moment she enters the room, I'm up and on my way over to greet her.


I don't know why she thinks I'm Charlotte.
She calls me "That Darn Cat" much more often.


Lifeless, waiting for the sun to warm them.








Hand-painted plate from Canada





I'm disappearing for a while.  





This Post is Linked To:

21 comments:

  1. You are finding your way. Be kind to yourself

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting the way that the art you have acquired traces the path of your life. To a certain extent mine does too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    You should take whatever time you need to feel better. I loved all your art your garden images and sweet kitty. Take care, wishing you a happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...always enjoy the small snippets of life that surround you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear you're having such a sad and moody autumn from missing and mourning Lacey. I hope your spirits lift soon and joy returns. You have many beautiful cat and rabbit artworks -- those are my two favourite animals too. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can understand and even emphasise with your melancholy Yvonne. I think it comes with later years but it's not a bad thing, just normal and perhaps healthy. Nice photos again and I am loving that Limoges plate. I don't think there are artists today who could produce anything so wonderful. There goes my melancholy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to find one's personal value when you're trying to emerge from a moody and melancholy period. You must trust that it is there and know that in sharing as you do, your beautiful work and powerful words add to the lives of others, which is a gift of value. Fall does that in so many ways -- I certainly feel it. An awe in the nature and a deep sadness that it is so short lived and what follows -- at least here in Michigan -- seems to last forever. There is always so much to DO at this time of year and I, for one, never feel like doing it, just hibernating. Mourning is hard. I love your special room and the beautiful and meaningful things you shared with us. I think I would spend a lot of time there.

    Wrap yourself in love, quiet and doing what you must. I think your joy will return -- maybe in fits and bursts and maybe not right away. But be strong. You can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our birdbaths are also always empty, they splash it all out bathing! You can buy anti-collision bird stickers from Amazon, we have them on our windows and it has stopped most of the problems.
    Take care, it is easy to get pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause in winter. We both hate the cold and we find winter very hard to get through.
    Cheers and best wishes Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful collection of images. What wonderful visions of life...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pastel of the kitty that you purchased at 16 ~ and wonderful series of images ~ Sweet kitties too ~ You have a lot and I wonder about your struggling with 'mindfulness' ~ stop the struggle and stay in the moment ~ The way I look at it everything is Ancient History and the Future is not yet to be ~ All any of us have is the Moment ~ that helps me to stay in the Now ~ Suggested reading anything by Thich Nat Hahn ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Yvonne :=)

    It is difficult to shake off melancholy after loss. It's exhausting, but you will, in your own time begin to feel better. Perhaps you feel in limbo just now, but your posts are always interesting and beautifully written. I'm full of admiration for your collection of beautiful plates from different countries. The Limoges hand painted plate is especially beautiful, and everything you have collected over the years reflects your love of nature. The Euonymus americanus is a beautiful plant, and the Spangled Fritillary on the purple Asters is truly lovely.
    Thank you for all the beauty you have shared.
    Take care, hugs to you from Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We can think about the past but not dwell in the past. We need to move on. I think the weather is also affecting your mood. I keep myself occupied so as not to get moody. I know you will come out of your melancholy soon even though it may take some time. I like your private room. Beautiful photos. Cute and adorable cat. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very beautiful images. So many favorites but I really liked the leaf floating in the birdbath.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, Yovnne,

    It does take awhile to get over the loss, it will happen with time. You do have some cute kitties to help comfort you. Love the garden images, the butterfly is lovely. I have some silly Cardinals that like to knock on my windows. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Yvonne, I read the post and looked at each and every photo and then I read all the comments. I ask a favor: Once again, please read the comments by these two bloggers: Jeanie and Breathtaking. They did, in their own ways, express my feelings and did so in a more elegant way than I could. Take care Yvonne, I wish you the best. John

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree on the anticipation of winter. Beautiful photos, and I love the kitties. Thanks for visiting Pictorial Tuesday Link up. Please feel free to stop back and share your link if you want. Would love to see you there so can keep in touch. Enjoyed my visit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fall is such a sad time of year, isn't it? So many people love and anticipate fall but I always regret it because I know what follows fall is a long cold winter. I do enjoy the colors and hiking in the fall, but it never last long enough. Your photos are beautiful and really captured the essence of fall. Love the kitties too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice photos! I guess this time of the year can bring out melancholy. Mostly because we know what is coming... I like the fresh air right now, and to prepare the garden for the next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It does take some time to get over the loss. Time is supposed to heal every wound.
    I absolutely enjoyed your breathtaking photos, Yvonne.

    Hugs and blessings 💐

    ReplyDelete
  20. so much beauty in your post. In Sweden we have a tree similar to the Euonymus americanus you share. But the red covers ión them are smoth without the spikes. It is a beautiful tree.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dearest Yvonne,
    today I had an inspiration while reading your post. I think I've gotten a little bit behind the secret of your poetry now. It is your melancholy that makes what you write so true and so well observed. You look at your life with an observer's sadness... and your past is always allowed to play a role. Shedding it like a snake's skin might be beneficial, but it would destroy the poetry of your words. No, not only your words, your arrangement is also poetic. The cat pictures you've been keeping for so long, that special piece of coral, the sand from your childhood house... By the way, I also collect sand and soil - especially when I travel, in places where I feel particularly at home. I keep it in jars with labels indicating where it was found. I imagine that one day this sand will be added to my ashes or to the earth in which my urn is buried. Then I am forever reunited with places I have loved. That probably sounds melancholic now - but at the same time it is part of my joie de vivre. Maybe your melancholy is basically full of life, too?
    Thank you for your loving words about our farewell to Nina! I wish you a good start into November!
    All the best from Austria and warm hugs,
    Traude

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...