Sunday, January 1, 2023

The Year is New, but My Life's Still Old :'(

 

It’s January now, the month that embraces winter in all of its glory and misery… giving us beauty, hand in hand, with frostbite, that mischievous Jack Frost.  Now I know Santa just fakes it when reading his letters, as I was forced to order my own rust-colored cast stone pig for the garden when Santa missed our house for the umpteenth time.  


 
I rarely ever celebrate New Year’s Day as new beginnings.  I think if we want to change something in our life, we will do it at that time, instead of saving our wishes up for one day of the year when we bewitchingly arise reincarnated into our perfect selves.
 
New Year’s Day is more about Earth’s birthday, one complete rotation around her Sun.  We celebrate our rotation through the twelve months, so why not the Earths; after all, the Earth is the mother of all life as we know it.
 
Happy 4.543 billion, give or take a few million years, birthday, Mother Earth!  Without you, we wouldn’t even be an afterthought.



Bleak is a common expression of cold winters without snow, when the evergreens and naked ones stand guard as seeds and spores left from the previous summer and fall wait patiently hidden in the rough textures of soil until warmth beckons germination. 

It’s also the time when nature’s hardy flora somewhat hibernates through these dismal winter months, their roots growing when the ground is thawed and resting when the ground is frozen until warmth signals leafing out time.



Winter has a beauty of its own when the skeletons of tree and shrub limbs show us all their glorious curves and twists against the horizon.  Bronzed flower stems with empty seed heads decorate the melancholy emptiness while browned grasses lay as blankets across the landscape as others stand erect defying the wind.




Swamp Sunflower




When I look at my garden, I often tell you I don’t always see the specialness in it.  Most things lay wasted in winter, but there is a mystery in the front garden where the oak leaves never fall… a little plant that sprouts in the areas that are considered sunny in summer, carpeting the ground in green like a groundcover of a million tiny plants, no matter how cold it gets.  It dies out by summer, and I guess, it will always be a lovely mystery to me. 

My backyard has greens popping up everywhere that stay short during the winter.  I guess, one might harshly call all those little sprouts weeds, but I’d rather just welcome them as groundcover that gives the garden some life.









Bottom of photo: Smilax bona-nox, the Saw Greenbrier, a vine, 
can be controlled with herbicides but has been known to adapt
 to the effects of them. It has also been known to not be affected at all. 
Some herbicides have been known to also help it grow 
instead of causing it to die. 

Each leaf has a row of prickles around it 
and while all parts are edible whether raw or cooked,
it can be very difficult to live with in the garden.  

Middle: Narcissus
 
Top: Bottlebrush Grass, Elymus hystrix  
Evergreen in winter, blooming in late spring.


Saw Greenbrier


Winter groundcover with no identification.


First year plants of the biennial Brown Eyed Susan, Rudbeckia triloba.
It moved into the garden on its own, and reproduces adbuntantly each year.  
Can be transplanted easily.
.







I’ve seen sporadic traces of compressed pellets of seed husks that the opossum has spit out after chewing the sunflower chips we leave for it, so these deep freezes haven’t killed it.  It has a warm place somewhere to bed down.

Last night when the dog was to be taken out in the dark for a short walk after Vic arrived home from work, Dustin began frantically barking as the door was opened.  Vic took Dustin around to the side door while I tried to remain frozen at the storm door taking photos of a fat fluffy opossum feeding on a pile of sunflower hearts.

It moved behind the planter when Vic and Dustin walked down the driveway, then cautiously moved back out to the seeds when they crossed the street to our neighbors’ yard.  I was taking photos with a cell phone through the glass at night, so the photos are what they are.

A pleasant surprise for me and a comfort knowing it’s still alive.  Isn’t it a bit crazy how easily we get attached to these marvelous creatures?  I never see these critters enough times to tell them apart, so I’m not 100% sure this isn’t a new one.  So be it.




Virginia Opossum, a marsupial , and a nocturnal omnivore.
Around 60 million years on the earth, 
beginning around the time of mammoths and sabre-toothed tigers


Life span of 2-3 years in nature, 
becoming geriatric during the last 6 months of its life.
Its four feet are hands with opposable thumbs on the hind two.

The tail is like a safety belt to keep it safe.  
It doesn't sleep hanging upsidedown.


The female can give birth up to 20 babies, up to 3 times a year.
A female is pregnant only from 11 to 13 days before the birth.
After leaving the birth canal, the babies (Joey's) are the size of a honey bee.

She helps them crawl up her abdomen to the pouch 
with the mammary glands, which only have 13 teats.  
The first 13 to arrive in the pouch will survive.

The Joeys don't suckle, as milk is supplied constantly to their mouth.  
Wildlife Rehilibating Centers tube feed orphaned Joeys.   


The Joeys will stay in the pouch for about 2 1/2 to 3 months, 
making her eventually fat in the middle as they grow.
 
When they venture outside the pouch, they will ride piggyback style, 
hanging onto her fur for another month.  
(That's a lot of weight on her back.)

After 4 months, from time to time one will fall off and is on its own.
Survival rate from then on is below 50%.


The Opossum's defensive tactics work against it in todays modern world.  
Its fainting when stressed defense can get it killed on the highway, 
where they are attracted to food waste left by humans.

The food was on the porch as the ground was iced.
Usually I leave food at the bird feeder.  

The rest of the year they feed on food the plants in the garden produce,
although some may find that climbing up the shepherds hook 
will have a nice surprise for them.



We are here at the first day of another year of Earth’s life, and I’m grateful for the complicated existence she has given me even though she tries to kill me off occasionally… she’s complicated that way.

May you look at your little patch of earth with optimism, for it will love you as much as you love it back.  May common sense and good luck keep you safe, and may your feet stay grounded to the earth while your head is in the clouds.


Happy New Year!




Hugs!!!



This Post Is Linked To:

28 comments:

  1. What a wonderful series of winter photos.
    We can only see the marsupial in a zoo.
    I wish you and all your loved ones a happy but above all a healthy 2023.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the possum is an augury of a great year ahead. What a fine visitor! Happy New Year with good health and happiness - and more possums!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Yvonne,
    What a great post and outlook. I agree why wait to make changes. I do hope this year will be good to Mother Earth and all of us. Cute photos of your Opossum.
    I wish you and your family all the best in 2023, a happy and healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...welcome to the new year, we are both still here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post to start the year...very philosophical too :) lovely pics

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet critter! I've never seen one. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that's the 2023 Good Luck Possum who visited you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful captures and thoughts.
    Wish you and yours a very happy 2023!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Yvonne, your icy winter photos are once again full of poetry. How nice that green shows up in your garden even at the lowest temperatures. Even if something is considered a "weed", I think herbicides are never the right solution. If you can eat something that grows voluntarily in the garden, that's perfect anyway :-)
    The opossum looks cute. I've never seen one "in nature", I only know it from photos, and I didn't know much about this animal either. It must have been exciting to meet the possum.
    Also interesting what you wrote me about the sloth crossing the street in Panama. I only saw them hanging in trees, mostly asleep, but sometimes one became active. The funniest sloth was the one that hung its baby on a branch next door where the baby ate leaves! Not only did it look cute, it was also a big happy and heart-pounding moment! How long (and in what years) have you lived in Panama?
    Good luck and as much health as possible / as little pain as possible in the new year for you and all your two- and four-legged loved ones! 🥂🍀😌
    All the best, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/01/costa-rica-1-kapitel-einleitung.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the 'funny' ~ so true ~ Exquisite nature photography ! Beautiful! Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know all this about the opossum. I just saw one the other night walking behind the fence outside my window.

    Every day is a new beginning. I send all good wishes for health, beauty and seeing the beauty in all things as you so often do with your wonderful photography. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent post and lots of great information, thanks.
    Wishing you a happy and healthy 2023. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Yvonne. And thank you for another beautiful read and sharing your intense knowledge and photographs with everyone. I would be very thrilled to see an opossum but as you will know, they are not in Europe as far as I know and definitely not in England - we have so few mammals. The only one I ever saw was sadly, dead one alongside the road in Canada many years ago. It's sad that they have such short lives. Take care and best wishes for 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The leaves have a certain beauty at this time. Cool Opossum. Not familiar to me. Happy new Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful article!
    The opossum is very cute! Thank you for the information about this animal that I have not seen in reality (not even at the zoo).
    Thanks for the good thoughts!
    Have a good New Year! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Yvonne,
    Love your series of opossum photos. They are what a call an ugly cute critter.
    years ago I used to see them on our deck, eating leftover bird seeds. Thanks for the info on this critter, I learned some new facts. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a cute little critter but they like to dig around under our bird feeders. Happy New year my friend, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  18. I liked the images in this post, all are excellent. Nice to know about Virginia Opossum. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are so funny looking! My parents hated them because they killed our chickens. But I love all animals. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I visited your blog and love hearing about Costa Rica, but when I leave a comment, it tells me I'm spam and rejects it. I do want to say your photos are wonderful.

      Delete
  20. what a wonderful post and awesome photos of nature ~ fascinating info and photos of the opossum too ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all the information about 'possums - I'm very fond of them. Here's a poem I learned in college (author Bennett Cerf) Are you a marsupial and do you have a little pouch? If I pinch it on the outside, does something inside holler ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely critter and I gained more knowledge on reading about opossum. Lovely photos of winter and nature too. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Change can be made anytime, no need to wait till the New Year. Interesting to read about possum but it does look like a rodent.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for dropping me a comment on my blog. I am improving and coughing less. I have always loved possums. Lovely post. Yvonne-would you consider sending me your email addy? I promise not to spam you! lol. My own is dianakos1@gmail.com. If you just send me a hello I will have your email in my files. Thanks so much. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  25. I didn't know all this about the opossum. I've never seen one in the flesh!
    Fascinating post as always, Yvonne.

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's a really nice Visitor the oppossum dear Yvonne ;-) I have never seen an opposum in the real life, but I know them from the Film "Ice Age 2"
    Greetings
    Kirsi

    ReplyDelete
  27. A very sweet post and the Opposum is adorable. A blessed New 2023 and a wonderful Feb, Yvonne.

    Here's a little bit of Kindness: https://natashamusing.com/2023/01/kindness-word-of-the-year-2023-woty/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...