Thursday, April 13, 2023

In the chill of an early morning in April

 


In the chill of an early morning, damp with an earlier passing rain shower, a huge crane fly hugs the door jam while the lady of the garden passes through quietly to not disturb the gentle being.  She’s aware of the errant ways of the Virginia creeper’s tendrils rushing to claim new territory crossing beneath the overgrowth of earlier risers, and yet she carelessly stumbles without a tumble as one has just tried to trip her.

It is a day of promised work, so she dallies about the paths with her new companion… a cane.  The dandelions have rushed into bloom, dropped their petals, and seeds dispersed in the March storms.  The second flush of blooms have met the April showers with the same exuberance as the first, while their upward smiling faces greet any honeybee passing by.

While the dandelions are as tough as nails, another nonnative has suffered badly in the early March week of twenty-degree mornings.  The lily stems are lying on the ground, stunted and deformed… a miracle they have survived at all.  Another early spring like this one will surely see them meet their demise.

Crane Flies, large and small, hug the north wall of the house; waiting for the day to begin it’s warming up.  A very short season for the species tulips, as the lovely fuchsia petals are already turning a crisp brown along the edges.  She will miss them.  They are a favorite of hers.

Back in the warm house, she changes into jeans and an olive-green wool sweater with a zipper down on each side around the hip area.  It was meant to be a warm casual evening out sweater, but there are no evenings out anymore, so she wears it as a work sweater in the garden.  It suits her with her uncut frizzy hair twisted in the back, pinned in place.

She’s a site that can make one’s eyes sore, but she tries to ignore that part of her faltering beauty and embrace all that crepe that drapes on her so well.  She’ll be spending the afternoon weeding, and hopefully taking a break by June.  April, indeed, has begun her quest to return the best of laid out gardens back to nature.





Barricade to keep cats off the plant table at night. 
After several weeks, no more barricade is needed.

Crane Fly


'Little Beauty' species tulip





Shooting Star





Eastern Red Columbine














Fothergilla gardenii Shrub





American Dogwood


Spring ephemeral, Dicentra cucullaria, Dutchman's britches
Maybe this year it will bloom... maybe.


Trillium cuneatum,
sometimes called Little Sweet Betsy





Orange Eyed Fly,
scavenger of small carrion








Tennessee Land Snail


Virginia Bluebell

Pink buds, 
wrinkled flower petals opening up, 
and fully opened bluebells.


Baby Trillium on right bottom of photo, 
tucked under the Bluebell leaves.

Since the Trilium patches are in the back meadow area, 
ants have collected trillium seeds and brought them back to their nests, 
where they eat the strophioles and discard the seeds.











This is the first year it has a flower.
 it can take up to two years for fresh seed to germinate, 
and another five to seven years for plants to bloom.


Wild Hyacinth
Not native to this area 
Not easy to dig out through the roots of other plants, so it's left in place.










Eastern Redbud tree trunk with flower buds


Pallida Balmatica Iris
The fragrance of Concord Grape juice fills the air around it.








Erigeron pulchellus, commonly known as robin’s plantain.
A biennial that usually dies after it sets seed.


Allegheny Spurge growing with 'Tokudama' Hosta


Blackhaw Viburnum


No longer know the name of this pretty clematis, 
which is sometimes tinged with pale pink or green.





Pupa attached to outside door, maybe a Hover Fly.


Wild Petunia, Ruellia humilis



Copper Iris, Iris fulva, in rain garden


Leucauge venusta, Orchard Orbweaver Spider


"My Mary' Azalea, very fragrant


Tulip-tree Beauty Moth (Epimecis hortaria)
About 2 1/2" wingspan


From the back deck







- Please bear with me until and through this coming summer when I will have cataract surgery on my right eye.  In the meantime, I'm having a bit of difficulty with the quality of my photographs, and catching all the annoying errors in my writing.   

I'm a bit wobbly on my feet on uneven surfaces, possibably from the peripheral neuropathy... I'm not sure.  Falling has become a huge concern for me these days in the garden where the paths are not flat or made of rock instead of stepping stones.  I feel like my husband has become a helicopter husband, always hovering over me.  Drives me crazy.



20 comments:

  1. ...you are so far ahead of us, thanks for the preview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful selection of flowers -- your photos are just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Yvonne :=)
    Your garden flowers are lovely, and I enjoyed seeing the small creatures which live in your garden. Your beautiful moth photo is well photographed, in fact all your photos are fine.

    In two months I will have surgery for Cataracts on my right eye. I have waited a long time for the surgery, and still wait,and like you I also walk with the aid of a stick, but I have grown used to these necessary but small inconveniences, but I wish that my husband was still alive, I haven't yet got used to being without him, and doubt if I ever will.
    Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Yvonne
    Your flowers are beautiful, I love them all. We are a little behind here, but we can still have some frosty mornings. I am glad your hubby is there taking care of you. I hope all goes well with the cataract surgery! Beautiful photos. Take care, have a happy day and a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring ephemerals are beginning to show themselves now. There was quite a bit of Bloodroot in the woodland yesterday. Trout Lily and Trillium will not be far behind, as well as hepaticas, Dutchman's Britches, Spring Beauty........and on it goes. Right now if you need Dandelions and Coltsfoot I can give you a very good deal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually hover over my hubby! Take care. You will find it such a relief getting your eye done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure she 's a sight to make eyes sore. She sounds rather beautiful to me, and one who knows her mind, her pace, herself. And her environment? It's very beautiful indeed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely collection of flowers..have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a wonderful tour of the garden and very informative, too. So many beautiful blooms! The moth is amazing. I do hope that your surgery goes well so you can be sure of step once more and your sweet hubby can stop hovering. x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful array of flowers and colour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The garden tour was a real pleasure, and I learned a lot. Love the blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Yvonne,
    Beautiful photos from your garden. The flowers are beautiful. Great captures of the insects, the moth is a beauty. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All the gardens are perfect for just this one spring moment!

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden looks glorious, Yvonne. You grow so many things I'd love to have in my own garden but my climate won't cooperate. (I'm a greedy gardener.) I've yet to see any bearded Iris blooms here but I'm holding out hope that this year will be different.

    Your ruminations at the top of your post are poetic. I wish you well with the cataract surgery - I've yet to meet anyone whose procedures weren't successful (although my husband is currently balking).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just take it easy and let him help you! That is so sweet. And I love your Spring flowers...especially the Iris. The moth is neat too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful flowers! I enjoyed seeing the Critters, too.
    Hope all goes well with your cataract surgery.
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful images as a companion to your beautiful words. I have snow coming for a couple of days. I am so anxious for spring this year. Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely collection of plants, insects, and other creatures great and small. You've got one of my favorites...Dutchmen's britches! And, really nice photo of the redbud buds down at the base of the trunk.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stunning series of photos and beautiful words, Yvonne.
    Praying that everything goes well with your cataract surgery.🙏

    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Yvonne - Your garden is really stunning - what a collection. We have not come too far yet, but it is wonderful to be able to visit other beautiful gardens.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...