Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Buttermilk Biscuits and a Handful of Magic


The luxury of all summer's sweet sensation is to be found 
when one lies at length in the warm, fragrant grass, 
soaked with sunshine, aware of regions of blossoming clover 
and 
of a high heaven filled with the hum of innumerous bees. 
    
~Harriet E. Prescott, The Atlantic Monthly









Maybe a juvenile blackbird


Hibiscus moscheutos, swamp rosemallow














Hibiscus Bee - Ptilothrix bombiformis





Maybe a type of Longhorn Bee, or a Leaf-Cutter Bee
















    In the sky alone is infinite variety. Yesterday, it bent above the earth a hemisphere of thinnest turquoise, fleckless as those Tuscan skies travelers delight to recall. Looking upward, I watch the sunlight as it spills itself upon the foliage, and I see the oak leaves making argent-green arabesques upon the blue of the sky.
    To-day a chain of cloud-cliffs guards the coast of some cloudland Albion, while all below is a faint blue suggestive of leagues of ocean that had fallen asleep at their feet. But the moments stealthily move on. An hour ago, the sky, like a sea, was covered with cloud-yachts, all their white wings spread. Now, I look up from my book, and lo! the airy shallops have sailed away to far harbors of the nether world. 

    ~Sister Mary Blanche (Elizabeth King, b.1852), "A Summer Siesta," Idyls and Sketches




Clethra alnifolia, Summer Sweet
I'm not sure of the bumblebee species.
It's not one I have noticed before.


Right lower corner: Green Sweat Bee and Honeybee


Summer Sweet, 'Jeana' Phlox, Purple Cone Flower


Here and There


Sweet Charlotte


Silver-spotted Skipper, Epargyreus clarus
on Rough Blazing Star, Liatris aspera








Lilium speciosum

(Pollen fatal to cats if they consume any.)













On such a day, the mere intaking of one's breath is a joy. The sky spreads above us, a shimmering sea of blue — not the cool and crystalline sapphire of early morning, but the deep dense azure of midsummer noon. How hot the bees must feel in that furry coat! As we lie basking in the sunlight, and watching the buttercups dancing and dipping above the grass, like golden banners amid an army of green-bladed bayonets... We see the hot air quivering and simmering above the clover fields, but all else is drowsily, dreamily, still. The streets of the far-off city are reeking with dusty heat, but here we are in another world, and the bees and the butterflies are our brethren. This meadow is our boundless prairie; our heads are below the level of the grass tops which spread filmy arms above, like the boughs of a miniature forest. 

~Coulson Kernahan 


I'm all ears - Austin


Joe Pye Weed flower buds


Thread-Waisted Wasp - Eremnophila aureonotata
Mating on a windy day.


Tuckered out...


A moth.


'Tokudama' Hosta
For years this was thought to be a species,
but it has never been found in the wilds in Japan.
It has been changed to cultivar status.













When the girl returned, some hours later, 
she carried a tray, 
with a cup of fragrant tea steaming on it; 
and a plate piled up with very hot buttered toast, 
cut thick, very brown on both sides, 
with the butter running through the holes in it 
in great golden drops, 
like honey from the honeycomb. 
The smell of that buttered toast simply talked to Toad; 
and with no uncertain voice; 
talked of warm kitchens, 
of breakfasts on bright frosty mornings, 
of cosy parlour firesides on winter evenings, 
when one's ramble was over, 
and slippered feet were propped on the fender; 
of the purring of contented cats, 
and the twitter of sleepy canaries. 

~Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows






Chickadee on the flying trapeze


Okay, you little show off, it can't be that hard.


What the...


Whoaaaaa... change direction!  CHANGE DIRECTION!!!


What do you mean, I'm top heavy?!?


Getting there... getting there...


WHOAAAAA!!!


Pump them wings...PUMP THEM WINGS!!!


Upright successful... coming in for a landing...


THERE!!!  Easy peasy, you little twerp!


What a duffus cardinal.


Is that Mr. Cheshire at the window??? 








Family of juvenile cardinals on the hornbeam tree
in the front garden.


















Hitting that cardboard cylinder with metal ends on the edge of the countertop ended with an explosion of the smaller variety as flour coated dough squeezed through the opened seam while little hands quickly twisted the cylinder all the way open.  What a delightful moment for a youngster helping mom with the preparation of dinner.  I grew up on lighter than air biscuits from the refrigerator section of Joseph’s Market.

At some point, I acquired a small Shaker Cookbook, and the first recipe I tried from that cookbook was Sister Lettie’s Buttermilk Biscuits.  As a person who never understood the attraction of lighter than air biscuits, I was intrigued by ingredients that looked more appealing than just plain biscuits.  They were amazing!  They doubled in pleasure with half of the white flour changed to equal parts whole wheat and stone-ground cornmeal.

I must admit, I have neither sifted the flour, nor measured the buttermilk that goes into the biscuits.  I just mix it all until slightly sticky. divide into eleven pieces, roll each into a ball with lightly floured hands, place into a buttered pie pan, flatten with back of my hand until biscuits touch each other, and baked.  Perfection!

It’s quite magical how the simplicity of just flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, butter and buttermilk can create such a dense buttery delight.  A dollop of preserves to the finished product pushes it up a notch, while adding strawberries and whipped cream is as if one has died and gone to heaven.  To say more would be too much.

This beginning to my writing is all that is left, as I condensed the rest into nothing to save face for my mind being a sea of alphabet soup with letters not coming together into words that interest me.  It is what it is, and that's all it is.

Love and hugs -
Yvonne

35 comments:

  1. Beautiful collec of summer pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. “A high heaven filled with the hum of innumerous bees” just about says it all for me. Would that the meadows and paths of the countryside were still filled with innumerous bees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    Your biscuits sound delicious! Beautiful captures of the bees, insects and your lovely flowers. The kitties look happy and content. Beautiful photos. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...thanks for the garden tour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous photos as always -- some great action shots too! And I love that illustration of the little Pan dancing past the Victorian lady having tea in the garden, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, flowers, bees, cats and birds entertaining each other, and ultralight biscuits and more!! Fabulous post!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos, wonderful quotes and your concluding paragraph was marvelous. Wish I could taste those wonderful airy buttermilk biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post! Your garden looks like a peaceful oasis. That recipe is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos, the birds and insects seem to like staying in your garden. Enjoy the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am bound to say that modern day writing id not a patch on your examples today. Sister Mary, Coulson and Wind in The Willows have their own magic. Not to mention your own words and pictures of wisdom and knowledge Yvonne, . I think you should let the Cardinals into your house - such fun. Five Sand Martins was all the oldies could catch but three hours in the sunshine and nature was good. Enjoy you weekend lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello,
    I love the series on the cardinals! You captured the insects and flowers beautifully. I am going to try making the biscuits, they sound delicious.
    Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the pictures of the young cardinals! Charlotte and Austin seem to be listening intently to what you're telling them until... the cardinals notice. 😊
    This post is a story with the scent of love intertwined with the scent of cookies andthe wild garden. Wonderful. 💞

    ReplyDelete
  13. magnificent post and nature photos ~ favorites,though, are your sweet kitties ~ and family of cardinals ~ thanks, hugs,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    carol l mckenna
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. aren't those bees amazing pollinators, your captures of them are stunning!! also, a beautiful series of the young cardinal family!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your kitties are so sweet. The quote from The Wind in the Willows is so wonderful - perfectly content. I love making biscuits/English scones and love them with butter and jam. Strawberry and cream sound really wonderful too!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have some really lovely photos! I particularly enjoyed the ones with the hibiscus plants and the family of cardinals.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Always nice to come to your blog to read and look at your observations. There are many types of bees and bumblebees and sometimes it is indeed very difficult to see which one you have seen. But it is a good sign that they are there with you because unfortunately I see them less and less everywhere here . You also photographed them very well. But I also know the beautiful flowers and i mean the white ones with the very beautiful yellow pistils and that is the Lilium | Martagon Alba. They have been loved and praised for their beauty for centuries. I also really liked all your photos and what you wrote. Greetings Tine and I wish you beautiful days with pleasant hours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my! That pop of the Pillsbury can hitting the counter. And then the joy of mixing up all those wonderful ingredients into fabulous scones or bread. So litte needed and so wonderufl.

    On another note -- fabulous photos, as always. You have such an eye and gift!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Yvonne, I see a lot of little things in your life (little miracles) that are able to bring joy. So: keep getting your head up in the clouds and just chill. And keep observing all the plants and animals around you, the cute cats, all the insects and juvenile cardinals. Enjoy Sister Lettie's buttermilk biscuits and try your hand (hopefully successfully) at making apricot dumplings. Of course I don't know the recipe you found and I don't know whether you got juicy, ripe apricots. But I can tell you that you can also make the recipe with plums or peaches, for example. If you like marzipan, I can recommend putting a small piece of marzipan in each piece of fruit, otherwise use a piece of sugar. (You can sprinkle the sugar cube with a tiny drop of apricot liqueur or rum beforehand.) If you roll the dumplings in toasted breadcrumbs, you might add a tiny touch of cinnamon. And sugar, of course :-D Apricot dumplings are a sweet sin, and that's wonderful and a good thing. ;-) I wish you many dandelion moments - whether you've found dandelions in your garden or not...
    Hugs and all the best, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/07/weltreise-2024-6-station-neuseeland.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. A truly wonderful post!
    I love the quote at the beginning, and of course the one from the Wind and the Willows. Your kitties are so sweet.
    Scones are a real treat. I like all flavors, but especially ginger scones make with whipping cream.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I adore Hibiscus but it doesn't love me, or rather my climate. I expect it appreciates your higher humidity levels. Thanks for including photos of your feline menagerie - I lost my beloved Pipig (Swedish for "Squeaky") in early June following what the vet believes was a stroke. She was 17 and was my companion for 16 of those years and I miss her dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I enjoyed reading... it`s such a nic post about bees, birds and cats. We - my husband and myself - are sad about our cat. We lost her yesterday. She was old, over 19 years, and now ill, though we redeemed her...

    Greatings by Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  23. The cardinal is quite the performer. Wonderful photos and great narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yvonne, your post vividly captures the essence of summer!
    You captured beautiful images of the bees, insects, and your beautiful flowers.
    Your biscuits sound amazing! 😋

    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such beautiful garden photos. I love how gardens attract so many critters!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks so much for stopping by!! Glad that you enjoyed seeing my Kitchen... Beautiful Bloom pictures!! I hope you are enjoying your weekend!!
    Hugs,
    Deb
    Debbie-Dabble Blog

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such beautiful blooms and love the photos of kitty too! Your close up captures are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yvonne, What a delightful and nostalgic post! Your vivid description of those early moments in the kitchen brings back so many memories of my own childhood. A regret I have about my early education is that I did not take Home Economics. If I had, I figured, all my guy friends would tease me about taking the class just to be with all the pretty girls. 😊The transition from store-bought to homemade biscuits, especially with such a unique twist as Sister Lettie's recipe, sounds like a journey of culinary discovery. The way you describe the process and the final product makes my mouth water—there's nothing quite like the comfort of a well-made biscuit, especially when topped with preserves or turned into a strawberry shortcake. Your writing perfectly captures the magic and simplicity of home cooking. Thank you for sharing your kitchen adventures! Lastly, it’s always a pleasure scrolling through your photos. John

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my what lovely photos, and perfect flower buds, which are by far the best to view, as well as the purr-fect kitty photos. We are in a beautiful time of the year aren't we, bugs and moths and all. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear Yvonne :)
    Thank you so much for your visit and lovely comment.I have also missed your beautiful poetic posts and your kitties and your fairy tale garden, where weeds are as welcome as cultivated flowers. Your photos are a joy to see with all the different insects, but mostly bees on the Hibiscus flower and all your other lovely flowers visited by moths and other insects. Your love of the written word
    comes across( and not for the first time) in the beautifully written words of Coulson Kernahen and other authors you choose to share with us, and of course I also admire your creative writing. I could envision you making the
    biscuits or scones, and the wonder of mixing the ingredients was magical .As a child, I remember watching my grandmother making her own bread and was always intrigued how the dough rose like a small miracle. I enjoyed the illustrations and looking at your photos with some humorous photos of the "Twerp" which made me smile.Thank you for this delightful look at life through
    your eyes.
    Take care my friend
    Hugs
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  31. ...Joe Pye Weed is in its glory here, but it signals that the end of summer is near. Yvonne, I wish you an Awesome August.

    ReplyDelete
  32. So many beautiful photos and lovely words. I hope all is well, sorry I have been so slow this year, buying the adjoining property as kept us more than busy with restoration! Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...