Saturday, February 20, 2021

...an angel tear upon the cheek of love

The other day as my world began to take on the cloak of night, just before all lay in artificial moonlight, curtesy of my next door neighbors flood lamp; I unhooked the tie back to let the bedroom curtain hang limp, and a small rush of excitement caused me to hold my breath as I caught a brief glimpse of a large rabbit hopping through the snow and disappearing into the bushy grass haven of my very small prairie.  It was a good ending to a freezing day of falling sleet, which reminded me so much of the sound of dried oak leaves still hanging on the tree rustling in the wind, followed by the silent fall of snow.

If you know me at all, you know my next move was to investigate the not so tempting world of wild rabbits.  They might as well have EAT ME stenciled onto their thick furry backs, as they forage in the dim light of dusk and dawn to escape detection of all creatures’ great and some fairly small that like to snack on one of the ingredients of Hasenpfeffer.  They catch pneumonia fairly easily in damp cold.  Our winters are always damp cold.  This deep freeze of nearly a week can be deadly cruel to them… to us all.




Okay… enough of the real world of nature.  Perhaps we might venture into the not so real world of Yvonne, as the real world of my life has thrown in the towel and moved to the dark side of the moon.  My cousin phoned me to let me know my most favorite aunt in the world (her mother) had died from Covid in a nursing home.  She was a vibrant woman I stayed in touch with my entire life.  I loved her.  I just cried.

My cousin revealed to me that she had her mother sent to the hospital and the hospital sent her back to the nursing home.  She had her mother sent a second time to the hospital, and the hospital for a second time returned her mother to the nursing home.  She died there alone and not taken care of.  To not matter… one wonders about the real meaning of life or if there is any meaning at all.




Today the warmth of the sun in a cloudless sky is creating a world of sleet and snow looking rather sad as it melts a bit here and there on its journey into eventual oblivion.  Fallen snow no longer tantalizes as too many muddy depressions of warming plants, or animal and bird tracks walking over the tops of tracks already there have created a havoc of blemishes across the surface of white.

We ventured out into it to replenish the bird feeder and bird bath, and to clean the snow off of the car so the sun would melt off the sleet.  It was delightful reclaiming my poopy porch railings from the hungry mobs of birds, but it will be a battle reclaiming the cars from the ice encrusted driveway.  The ice bound roof around the deck is giving us a headache wondering how much damage it’s creating as it seems impenetrable to methods of breaking any of it off.

As I look out my living room window onto the lumpy surfaces of old snow, and baring branches as snow loses its grip and falls softly to the ground in clumps, the ice covered roads are still fairly quiet.  I like it that way.  There is such beauty in the silence of an otherwise noisy existence, where even the multitudes of visiting birds seem to be quieter as they search the barren land for substance until warmth returns.




Morning tea and coffee


Sleet





Sleet with bouts of falling snow
(below)





Cardinals











Mockingbird





Blue Jay







Out of the heart of life,
lingering on the horizon of what little is left,
it burns dimmer and dimmer,
until vanished into the grey, 
where sky ends and faith begins.

To know all too well,
 these feelings of quiet despair,
when life lets go of that which was created out of her bosom,
and sends it off on wings of eternity itself.

Oh, how it dwells, 
loosely locked, 
in the fading memories,
of age itself.




Robin



This post is linked to:

15 comments:

  1. Hello Yvonne,
    I am sorry to hear of the loss of your aunt. Covid is claiming so many lives. It is so sad. Your post and photos are lovely, I saw a bunny hopping across the snow in my front yard the other day. Beautiful captures of the open winged birds, there is beauty all around us. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day! I wish you a happy new week ahead! PS, thank you for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved aunt. This "fashionable disease" has stopped too many lives and I'm not sure how many lives were lost from the negligence / indifference / fear of those who cared for them. I hope - I wish you - that you can overcome this pain of the soul (a new one, unfortunately)
    I like the tracks of birds in the snow. The photos with the birds are very... wow!
    I think you are a strong person with a sensitive soul. You manage to notice the beauty of nature through tears.
    I wish you well. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is a simple fact that people live and people die; it is the "how" of it that matters. To have lived a life filled with love for others, and having it reciprocated, and then to die alone and in cold, clinical circumstances is cruel indeed. Please accept my sincere condolences on the death of your aunt. May her memory be a blessing. I hope you will find solace in the birds you love, indeed in nature writ large - minus ice storms perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...you have found the beauty in winter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My condolences about your aunt. Another tragedy of Covid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful bunny!
    I'm so sorry for your loss.
    I do remind people, however, that most people at end-of-life are not conscious. My dad was in a coma for a couple of days. As a hospice volunteer (prior to COVID), I have found that this is the case.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry for your loss. :(
    But you showed some very nice photos of the birds and the squirrel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Condolences for the loss of your aunt. It is always hard losing a loved one.
    Your pics with snow, ice and all the lovely birds are wonderful. I hope you will find solace in the beuties of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post, well written and great photos. Sad news about your aunt though, thoughts are with you may she RIP. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh Yvonne ! I feel your sorrow and bitterness.You write very beautiful .I think the purpose of life is to do good things to others as much as one can.But sadly there are to much greed and grasping in the world we all think of ourselves.It is very difficult to change it.How many people are left to die alone is something I have no words for.Covid is a cruel thing.Yvonne. I dont know you but,Keep on shining :)Cry but let it go.I think you have so much nice critters where you live.Beautiful birds and wildlife.I really have to fint out where in america you live.Ok wish you a peaceful day and night Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yvonne, this is one of the most beautiful posts I've read recently, both with your eloquent words and thought and gorgeous art and photos. Oh, what wonderful birds. I hope their flight lifts your sad spirit with the loss of your dear aunt. I am so very sorry and send you wishes of peace and healing. I'm so glad I have discovered your blog. It is making my heart sing today with its love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful bunny!

    So sorry for your loss, Yvonne.

    ((hugs))


    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry about your favorite aunt.
    I don't feel the icy temperatures you have, I just see the wonderful impressions of animals and objects in the snow. Ice, snow and grief will dissipate when spring comes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Condolences, my bloggy friend.
    I, too, enjoy quiet moments that your photos imply. These are some creative shots! Your ice octopus is great :)

    Your link is a great addition to 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful post! I loved all the cats pictures!
    Sorry to respond so late, I was not on the blog for a while!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...