Friday, June 4, 2021

I wish I may, I wish I might, come up with a title before daylight.

Wild Geranium



My right foot forgot how to follow my left foot causing a gentle tumble to the ground.  Laying on my back feeling fine, I was reminded my knees are shot, and husband is cozy in house with headphones on.

Yelling aroused no one.  Noting it would be some hours before husband noticed I was no longer enjoying the comforts of our home, and to upright myself from the ground is an option born in hell for my knees, I whimpered.

My feet began to propel my butt excruciatingly slow across pebbled pavers to a low brick wall.  Gritting my teeth and pulling myself up, it’s invariable that I would crunch my right knee a bit in the process.

Of course, when I burst through the front door with mud smeared on the backside of my dress, shoes, and arms… well, let’s just say I was slightly annoyed.  A visit to the chiropractor to fix my knee, and four icy gel packs across my butt area every few hours is a routine still going on to relieve the pain from the pavers.

Today a large cockroach was found floating in the dog’s water bowl in the bedroom :(






The ladybug's a beetle.
 It's shaped like a pea.
 Its color is a bright red,
 With lots of spots to see.
 Although the name is ladybug, 
Some ladybugs are men.
 So why don't we say "gentleman bug"
Every now and then?

 ~Author unknown



Ladybug larva becoming food for Florida Predatory Stink Bug nymph,
as it suck the juices from its body.  Everyone has to eat, although
we sometimes turn a blind eye to the real nature of nature.


Ladybug Pupa on Winter Savory plant


Ladybug hatching from pupa shell.
It moves up and down pushing itself free of the shell.





Freshly hatched ladybug with its soft yellow forewing.





Wings extend to dry out, and spots slowly appear as forewing dries out.














As forewing dries, it darkens and spots become more prominent.











Forewings turning orange as they further dry out.
When dry, the orange will have aged to red.
Wings dry from a light color to a dark color.  


No photos of red ladybugs.
Apparently they complete drying out during the evening
and fly off into the night or first sign of the new dawn.





The art of knowing, I suppose, is knowing what to ignore and what not to ignore.  Not ignoring has its benefits; after all, you are reading about the nature I choose not to ignore when you sit down to one of my posts.

Fragrance of warm delights eludes me this day as I sit with a dripping cold glass of Eden tart cherry juice poured over a handful of ice cubes, while I breathe in the breezes of essences of mustiness.   Looking up into the towering viburnum bush, I noticing the Apple Blossom clematis blooming.

I’m reminded I planted it in a large container on the patio to enjoy the aroma of marzipan embracing me in the warmth of a beautiful day, but I smell nothing.  It has grown twenty feet tall and is blooming in what might as well be the stratosphere.  From my viewpoint the blossoms are tiny and the fragrance tinier, if it indeed has a fragrance at all.

House wrens… I have a pair.  They confiscated the chickadee nest box adding their pile of twiggy stems to the top of the velvety moss.  It’s a bit of little hell keeping up with the weather, spraying the base of the nest box pole after each round of storms passes through, to assassinate ant intruders.  My welcomed thanks is the eruption of little mouths chirping as a parent flies in with the eats.

A slow walk through my gardens reveals the bottlebrush rye grass is in its prime, adding to the carpet of many greens that dominate the day.  A few pops of color are all that is left of our early spring rush.  Baby robin chirps are silent, and if not for the lively house wrens, all would be so commonly blasé.







May Beetle/June Bug
According to Texas A&M Dept. of Entomology
the genus Phyllophaga has about 150 species.
While this one has a fuzzy covering and the one in my last post has a smooth covering, 
they are still of the same genus.


This way and...


that way...


Will I ever see the end?





Mystery Spider ~ Upon research, lots of spider have red on their underside. 





Male Persimmon flowers fallen to the ground





Carpenter Bee nest hole


Hagley Hybrid Clematis backlit by sun ~ Late bloomer blooming early
It will rebloom with much less flowers during the summer.


 About 95% of a crane fly's life is spent in the larval stage, and that can last as long as three years or more. Crane fly larvae are important for recycling and decomposition – they eat leaves, plants and small bits of organic material in the soil or water bodies where they live.
More rain - more crane fly larvae activity.
The larvae can even stay dormant through drought years,
until moisture appears again.


Since all my fallen leaves stay in place in the gardens, 
crane fly larvae have much to eat and stay fat and happy.


My mystery daisy plant that adopted my garden, 
and light green wild raspberry plants trying to take over my garden. 


Goats Beard (Aruncus dioicus) 
I planted three bare root plants four years ago with no instructions.
Most of my bare root plants die, so I thought these had too,
until the second and third year when 6 inch tall plants appeared.
This year they are 12 inches tall and two have flowers.
I think the third one died :(


White-Marked Tussock Moth
Resting on the patio sliding glass door.
I thought this a rather uninteresting moth until I looked at the closeups.
I think it goes with the hairy caterpillars seen last year on the oak tree and mallow plants.


American Goldfinch, Northern Mockingbird, Common Grackle, European Starling... 
Who knows.
I have them all in my gardens,
although I try to discourage the messy starlings as much as possible..



Clematis Venosa





~ Austin ~
Isn't this guy such a cuddlebug?
We've been trying to figure out if he is really a calico,
after all,
he does have grey, tan with a greyish top and white.
Male calicos have lots of medical problems :(

What do you think?


Bee Balm (Monarda bradburiana)





Winterthur Viburnum with friend





Bottlebrush Grass Elymus hystrix) ~ A cool season grass


Husker Red Pensteman


Fuzzy Lesser Carpenter Bee
This little guy flew around too fast, buzzing from flower to flower. 





Clematis Viorna (Leatherflower)





Heavy Metal Ash Tree


Common Green Bottle Flies feasting on bird droppings





"All Told" Day Lily
Moved into the sun to bloom once again.



Years ago I wrote this as the effect my garden has over me.
It still remains true today.


She has enslaved
my weary heart in chains,
so demanding
and much unforgiving...
only on me will I lay any blame,
such vanity so intoxicating.



The sun sets below the rooftops of the houses behind us, and one might as well call the day an end, as darkness creeps over the gardens to silently summon the creatures of the night.  I mingle not with the nightlife of nature, for to do so is the stuff nightmares are made of in my knowledgeable logical practical head.  Let’s just leave it at that!



Prairie Garden






Butterfly Weed blooming early.


Star shaped buds of New Jersey Tea (Ceanothus americanus)
with visitors.








Goldenrod Soldier Beetle (Chauliognathus pensylvanicus)
being unfaithful to Miss Goldenrod.














Type of Hoverfly


Caterpillar hanging from thread after being disturbed in azalea plant.
Very tiny tyke that turns into a rather drab moth.
I read they can destroy a plant, but they are scarce on the "My Mary" azalea. 


Such beauty and ugliness together.
One has to admire how well they adapt to our trashy habits.


White Clover ~ I hate hate hate it!
Oh, by the way, did I say I hate this cutie that chokes out all my native wildflowers..


Tokudama Hosta in the Allegany Spurge bed with Woodland Goldenrod.
Doing extremely well this year with all the rain.


Car Patrol









Top, bottom, top, bottom, top, bottom, top...
Whew!  I see I'm lazy and inconsistent with my labeling :(
I'll sleep on it.



I'm attaching two videos, and if anyone can identify the bird calls, please enlighten me.



Only got the last call before it dived from the ash tree top straight for the neighbors yard.



I've heard this call for years.  If the bird is close by, the calls get fairly loud.




This post is linked to: 


25 comments:

  1. Sorry that you had such a bad fall. No doubt you felt the effects for days afterwards. This is an incredible series of pictures you present here, especially the lady bug sequence. Lots to delight a naturalist in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I am sorry to hear about your fall, I wish you a speedy recovery! Your garden photos are just amazing, the insect photos are fantastic. The clematis is one of my favorite blooms. Love your cute kitty and the cute pup on car patrol. Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the fall Yvonne. Wishing you a speedy comeback.
    Those are some amazing insect closeups...loves all the clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...so many beautiful details of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad about your fall. I hear you. I can't feel my painting hand!
    I love the bugs. I sold my macro lens, but really enjoyed your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope there will be no serious problems after the accident. You manage to find your spirit of humor in almost any situation. You are to be admired!
    The photos are amazing - as usual. I looked a little at the insects; the exception was the "series" with the ladybug - I looked very closely.
    I don't know if Austin is a calico, but I know for sure that he is a very beautiful cat.
    The first bird (video) could be a gray catbird (a bird not too big - Dumetella carolinensis) and the second could be "sittidae" (I think in English it says "nuthatch") - I'm not sure, but it could be.
    I wish you a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you have a cellphone, it's a good idea to carry it with you at all times in case of emergency. Because you just never know what might happen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a splendid post and fabulous eye candy -- practically perfect in every way apart from that fall, which sounds excruciating. Your photos are so details, really fabulous. And Austin look a bit like a Lizzie clone. Mostly black and white but with some cali-undercoat and around the ears. Ih ope you feel so much center and very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Yvonne,
    I hope you are feeling better now. Do you have Chickadees there, the last sound video reminds me of our Chickadee? Your clematis are just lovely, they have so many different species. I love them all. Great series of Lady bug photos. Love the sweet furbabies too. Take care! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a great day and a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you will recover from your fall pretty soon. Everything that creeps and flies with you is wonderful! The tufted moth deserves special attention, wow! I followed the development of the ladybird with great interest. But I can't say anything about whether Austin is a 'calico'. Do you ask if he's a lucky cat? Yes, it definitely is, just like my Lady is a lucky cat! For me the colors 'white-black-brown' symbolize: 'I am your happiness!'

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry about your fall. Hope you are feeling better. Loved all pics of bugs and flies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic post and so many great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Superb images of your garden, mighty fine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry to hear about fall, Yvonne. I hope you recover quickly! Your bug images are beautiful, as are your garden images. Your kitty is most adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing captures all! Hope you are doing fine by now and your aches have disappeared!

    ReplyDelete
  16. All the photos are fantstic. Hope you are doing well recovering from your fall. I feel a month ago, tripped on a curb and cut up my knee. I was actually shocked that I fell, it had been years since I did it last. :) Take care and enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry you fell, I hope you're feeling a lot better now.
    The photos are fantastic, the ladybug series is really great.
    I enjoyed it.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow, that is one interesting post. So many great shots sharing wildlife and plants. As I live in the city it is impossible for me to follow the development of a larva. I wish I could!
    Thake care and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry about your fall. Hope for your complete recovery. Very interesting series of the lady bug. Pretty blooms and interesting insects in your garden. Thank you for the video tour of your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope you are recovered from your fall ~ lots of distant reiki healing energy coming your way ~ Xo ~

    Gorgeous nature photography and sweet kitty ~ Xo

    Live in the moment,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I worry about falling. My husband is deaf in one ear and I worry that he won't hear me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How terrible to have hurt yourself so badly :( Maybe you should carry a cane with you, I know I think about doing that for sure lately.
    What a fabulous variety of beauties you are showing us today. I really enjoyed them all!

    I'm happy you chose to share your link at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a cane to get in and out of a flower bed I'm working, but while actually working I need both hands to do the work. Same for bird feeder and bath duties. Personally I think a pair of wings would do the trick :)

      Delete
  23. Oh my goodness what a fabulous post, your captures are beautiful and delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your photographs of blooms and garden visitors are amazing and so beautiful! I hope you are recovering well from your fall.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...