Saturday, March 19, 2022

What makes me come alive -

There’s nothing but emptiness,
Or so it seems…

It’s what we say when something is missing,
Isn’t it.
If the liquid is missing from the glass, it’s empty-
But, of course, it isn’t.
It’s just filled with air.

The same as when I say my life is empty,
It really isn’t,
It’s just filled with things that don’t turn me on at that                 moment.

Isn’t life a bitch at times?

I think my drive to be all I can be putters to a stop at the end of the driveway.  It’s the boundary of where I am allowed to be 100% myself…my sanctuary.  While I’ve never been much of a joiner, I’ve given all I have at being a doer .

I respect and care about all living creatures, but my Achilles heel has always been cats with a few dogs thrown in.  I’ve seldom fostered an animal that didn’t melt my heart into giving it my home forever after.  I’m a sucker that way.

There was a time when I added a cat living in my front garden to the group of six cats and two dogs I already had as rescues.  It quite literally was the straw that broke my spirit of caregiving.  I was worn out within six months, six months of never finding her a forever home until we finally made it happen with the help of friends.

Its hard work, but I’ve always known it wasn’t an option to bail out.  Where I have gone my pets have gone…Nevada, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Panama, Central America, and Tennessee.  No one has ever been left behind.  I always knew I would be able to make it work, and I always have.

Its hard work, as many of you know, putting in the effort of taking care of one’s pet as its aging process enters into that territory of your heart ever so slowly breaking as their journey is coming towards its end.  It’s like living with joy and sadness bundled together within ones heart; your heart breaks and your heart rejoices each moment they are with you.



Tuckered Out
No doubt in my mind that the nondiagnosable problems 
Dustin has been experiencing is dementia.
It matches the episodes when he wonders aimlessly around,
exhibits problems of brain fog or being in a stupor,
and has a difficult time remembering commands.




I never approach a challenge in life with the feeling that I might fail, but fail I do.  Although told I was as knowledgeable and productive as those above me, the lack of a college education beyond the first year became a concrete fortress around climbing any ladder of success.  I climbed ladders in menial jobs, and escaped their emptiness and boredom at the end of day.  My deliverance was my home life, such as it was.

Alone most of the time, I cherished my rescues keeping me company, although the responsibilities of their care was draining at times.  I made it my mission after reading an article about Audubon International’s program for the everyday person, to become an environmental steward of my property and work towards certification.  I achieved the designation of ‘Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary” on December 2, 1998.

June 19, 2003 Audubon International notified me it’s time to recertify my home as an Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary – but this time for good.  Instead of being a part of the Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary Program for Backyards, I could still be a part of the Audubon International family as a valued individual supporter.

I continued supporting them for a few years until it became obvious by their newsletters that they had no time for small potatoes, and had moved on to certifying towns, golf courses, and communities.  Although I was a Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary, the program nor support any longer existed.  I was left in the wake of progress to bigger and better things.

The bronze plaque stating my yard is a ”Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary” is still displayed at the beginning of my driveway, and has been a life saver at keeping city and neighborhood complaints away, but I do miss the program immeasurably.  I still garden as if Audubon International is hovering over me at every step of the way.

My backyard always appears incomplete, and I’m beginning to feel it will continue that way eternally.  In winter it looks as if a disastrous mudslide settled in, but at the early beginnings of spring, a mudslide that is coming to life with the first flowering plants…WEEDS.

Weeds to me are wildflower I’d rather do without, but the lovable do exist among the usually nonnative unlovable.  I just live with the whole mess, and pull out the totally obnoxious.  It’s a compromise I’ve accepted in my older age of slowing down.

I tried to annihilate the daffodils at some point of going native, but they have pulled themselves down into the tangled web of roots so well, it’s a feat that never totally happened.  The aggressive ones no longer exist, but I do have stragglers of lesser ones that pop up each spring and are left alone.  I have a sweet fondness for them.

It’s fair to say, I suppose, that my life has always been somewhat lesser that greater, but for someone who never fulfilled many of her dreams, my spirit is surprisingly okay with that.  I am content to begin another spring of taking in the exhaustion along with the serenity of living.



N. x odorus 'Plenus'
Double Campernelle Daffodil








Cassata Daffodil
It was found face down on the ground after a rain.
I cut it, removed a slug from its face, and popped it into a vase to enjoy.


Littleleaf Buttercup
Ranunculus abortivus
A native plant
An erect to spreading biennial or short-lived perennial



Hairy Bittercress
Cardamine hirsuta
Non native annual or biennial species with exploding seed pods


Creeping Speedwell
Veronica filiformis
Non native and invasive


Purple Deadnettle
Lamium purpureum L.
Non native winter annual


This ones a mystery to me.


Viola sororia var. priceana








Common Blue Violet
Viola sororia
Flower opening up


Viola all chewed up


Beauty Mark


I think it is a a Blow Fly


Empty Lily Seed Pod


Common Golden Alexander
Zizia aurea
Hugging the ground and blooming 


Columbine leaves unfurling


Mr. Dandy Lion


Virginia Bluebell flowers preparing to open


Trillium leaves opening with flower bud


Dutchman’s Breeches
Dicentra cucullaria
The corms were planted years ago, but no blooms yet. 


Bloodroot
Sanguinaria canadensis
With an aphid


Leaves clasps the bottom of the stem.
(Out of focus here)








Allegheny spurge 
Pachysandra procumbens





Female Spicebush Flower with Housefly


House Fly wings can beat up to 1000 times a minute,
but they're generally slow fliers, 
maintaining a speed of about 4.5 miles per hour.


Mourning Dove tracks


Snowstorm March 12







Keep Your Passion Alive

With love from me to you
x




This Post is Linked to:

18 comments:

  1. My entire life has been spent with wildlife but I have never had the desire to have domestic pets, and I have not regretted that decision, especially when I read of your angst in describing some of the consequences. I have a friend who is facing serious financial strain right now caused by vets bills that are getting out of control. I am perfectly content to visit the north and enthral over the rare sighting of a wolf, without desiring to have its domesticated and radically altered counterpart sitting at my hearth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never domesticated my pets. Yes, they do stay inside, but all my dogs and cats chose me, not the other way around. To chose me is to stay inside. Ancient DNA has shown that cats domesticated themselves, perhaps to obtain easy food from humans, per National Geographic. The many breeds of cats evolved later from this choice.

      Science is also beginning to believe the same of wolves. Wolves are naturally fearful and aggressive towards humans, but a friendlier wolf would of had the advantage of receiving food from human hunters. This would have also been an advantage over other wolves, and physical differences eventually evolve with the friendlier wolves. This is self-domestication. Dogs domesticated themselves, per Smithsonian Magazine.

      Yes, having Dustin is emotional right now, but I treat him with the kindness I would treat any human, and accept that his life will eventually end like any human. I love him, so of course I get emotional, just as I did when I lost my sister. One accepts that when they have dogs or cats.

      How much one is willing to spend on vet bills is a personal choice. My choice is to not go into debt.

      My dogs and cats seek shelter, food, and affection from me, and I get back affection. I'll just leave it at that.

      Delete
    2. And I will leave it at that, too! I could challenge your claims regarding domestication with a list of references to scholarly articles as long as your arm, but to what end? Enjoy your animals, please.

      Delete
    3. Thank you :) And please enjoy not having domesticated animals. It's not for everyone. Wild animals are a joy to view in the great outdoors, and that is where they should be. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    Your flowers and garden images are beautiful. It is nice to have a backyard sanctuary. I feel sad for Dustin, sending prayers. Have a great day and happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...our spring isn't as advanced as yours, but each day gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you. I have found it so rewarding taking in rescue cats, so many need homes. There is something special about caring for them.
    You have made such a difference in the life of many. Good work. You should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your devotion to animals and flowers is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Yvonne, :=) Pintas was a stay dog, who chose to stay with us. I have sadly lost many dogs, and their passing is devastating, but the joy they brought into our lives remains in my heart. Pintas is still alive, very old now and suffers from rheumatism, and doesn't get around like he used to do, but I love him, and will care for him as long as he is alive. We love our pets, and I am so very sorry that your sweet Dustin is not well. I certainly understand you, and think you are a kind caring and sensitive person. There are so many unwanted dogs and cats, and we need more people like you in this world who in spite of their own pain, or even because of it, take pity on them and chose to love and take care of them, Bless you for your kindness. You are also very knowledgeable about the plants in your garden, lovely photos of them all.
    Take care of yourself, a huge hug coming your way from your friend in Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I pray for Dustin! I know what it's like when our beloved pets grow old and ... leave. We've always had pets since we were kids - we didn't want to have them, but they got in our way and we couldn't let them go, and we loved them.

    In your garden it seems that spring has come, after the snow of March.
    I wish you serene days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Letting go of a dear friend is hard -- and possibly the greatest gift we can give them when the time is right. My vet told me once, "They'll tell you." Wise words. Until then, you love. And you savor those moments.

    All my cats have come to me. I think they are so lovely because they are so grateful.

    And your garden is such a beautiful haven. What a treasure this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your words and photos never cease to astound me, Yvonne.

    And your love for animals and flowers is most admirable!

    Happy Tuesday, sweet lady!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to have pets but now I don't have the time to really take good care of them so I better not. Pets are like our family members and they need our time and love. Sad and heart breaking to see our pets growing old or sick. Beautiful spring flowers. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's sad to see a loved one grow old and ill.
    The cats that lived with us just came into our garden and stayed. It's a miraculous thing...

    Your flowers are beautiful! I like those wild-growing ones very much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos - your words touched me deeply. Your life has been well spent. Even if the backyard certificate no longer exists (which is very foolish), you stewardship is outstanding. It's sad to watch someone you love age and decline no matter the species - family is family

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have done a wonderful service to all the cats and dogs you have taken in and
    lovingly cared for.
    The bloodroots are not coming up here yet.
    Wonderful flowers photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Through the years we have adopted many rescued cats and dogs. They brought years of enjoyment and love to our lives. You captured some beautiful flowers, nice and colourful. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh Yvonne -- I think I'm unworthy even to comment on your post. But I will anyway. We don't garden and haven't since we were even younger than you are now (happy belated by the way, I scrolled down). And we haven't had pets for decades. And yet, I consider myself a nature lover. Obviously I don't deserve the title. But at my age, if I had a yard to care for (even one left to its natural state) I wouldn't have time to go for a walk. So life is full of gray areas. Your flowers are gorgeous; I love looking at the results of other people's hard work and don't even feel guilty about that any more.... And I never in my life thought about daffodils being invasive. They are so beautiful, it seems to me like they should belong to wherever they wish to grow -- and *I* wish they would grow here in Florida. (We don't have any of the "regular" early Spring flowers here at all -- it is too hot. No real winter, no real spring.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...