Tuesday, July 12, 2022

As I look out my window ~

~ laced with spider webs around the edges between screen and glass, the view is beautifully filled with Goldfinches plucking seeds from the field of Rudbeckia maxima, tall coneflowers, each day.  The long seed heads will be stripped bare long before winters frostiness creates a sleepy landscape of crisp browns among the evergreens.



I think this is Hypericum densiflorum, or Bushy St. John's-wort.
A bush as tall as me, that is doing well in this partially amended clay soil border.
It has expanded at the base with new growth,
so when it fills the bed it will need to be pruned at the base to contain. 


Jumping Spider of some kind (slightly out of focus)


Rudbeckia maxima. Giant Coneflower
Seeds loved by Goldfinch






A bit of excitement last week as a larger bird landed on the patio in front of me, then flew up into the ninebark shrub, before disappearing.  I saw a dark curved beak; speckled chest and old clay pot-colored feathers… Brown Thrasher.  Phil, writer of Another Bird Blog, steered me to The Crossley ID Guide Eastern Birds, which I purchased… worth the money for someone who needs to see realistic views of a bird to identify it.  Maybe a once time sighting, I don’t know… rain has been relentless since then, and the house has been my sanctuary. 


Green Sweat Bees, Halictidae Family of bees,
on blooming Summersweet shrubs, Clethra alnifolia.
This shrub should bloom for over a month.














Maybe a Hover Fly with the Green Sweat Bee.
Many species of Hover Flies resemble maggots when hatched, 
and are predatory on other insects such as 
aphids, mealybugs, ants, caterpillars, froghoppers, or mites.



This has been my year of letting go of that which vexes me to no end with my life in its later stages.  The raised vegetable beds were cleared out by Vic – he worked hard for a weekend to remove all traces.  The clematis on the deck were cleared out, and only the pot of sage was left in the far corner.  Looks minimal now, and much to my liking.  Several varieties of daylilies were dug up and trashed, and now only some exist as pops of color during the spring and summer months.  I would say the gardens are about 95% native to this region or Tennessee.


While this bee looked like a small Carpenter Bee,
it does have the hairs on the segments of the abdomen.
After much research, I think it is a Brown-belted Bumble Bee,
Bombus griseocollis.
I could be wrong ðŸ˜•


















Vic’s been hard at it pulling up Canadian Goldenrod after a rainy day… runners everywhere.  Herbicides are being used on the wild raspberry bushes that have sent out multiple runners this year… a painfully sticky situation.  The prairie garden is a patch of hell, by human standards.  Bringing it under control, seems impossible at this point in time, but one must preserver.


Summer Azure Butterfly, Celastrina neglecta


From the family - Gossamer Wing / Hairstreak Butterflies - Lycaenidae


Note the lovely fringe on the wing edges.



Heavy rains fell this afternoon, then again, this evening.  Almost midnight… I’ve procrastinated a bit as it hasn’t been painless to sleep lately.   I’ve done something I’ve never done - opened the window in my studio and let in the trilling sounds of what I think are treefrogs, filling the room with summer music.  Occasionally a succession of tiny higher pitched chirps could be heard within the rhythmic melody.

One would have drifted off into never-never land, if not for the interruption of the low flying airline coming in over the neighbor’s house to approach the airport, but that’s life, isn’t it?  If I had left that window open all night, would I have gone a bit bonkers?  Maybe.  I’m not going to find out.  Sometimes the lack of sound is heaven also.


Hibiscus moscheutos, Swamp Mallow
Each bloom only lasts a day.


Tiny black beetles can be seen in the flowers.
They move so fast - very difficult to photograph.
Looks like it is eating pollen.


Honey Bee


After researching moths, hover flies, and beyond...
I think this is a Bee Fly (Bombyliidae).
Their larvae feed, indiscriminately sometimes, 
on grasshopper and locust eggs, 
plus solitary bee and wasp larvae;
but generally they are considered beneficial -
just another part of the ecosystem 








This Post Is Linked To:

16 comments:

  1. Brown Thrasher is a very attractive bird, and the male will sing to you in couplets like a knight of old. A few years ago a pair made a nest and raised young in a forsythia bush in the garden. Never happened again, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Yvonne, your garden is a treat, thanks for showing its tiny details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again,your images are exquisite. The details are beautiful and precise and I admire that tremendously. What a lovely garden you have to share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spotted a similar bird. They are so fast! (ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goldenrod means "August" to me. That's when this wildflower always blooms bright yellow on the Canadian prairies where I grew up. It's very prolific and hard to get rid of -- a true survivor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. If I had a bigger yard, I would leave it, as the insects adore it. Blue Stemmed Goldenrod showed up on its own in the dappled shaded areas, and I have planted much more, as it isn't aggressive.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos from your garden. The fringes on the butterfly wings are really quite special.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  7. First time I've seen St John's Wort. My so beautiful. Wonderful captures of the bees and the butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Yvonne, :=) It's such a satisfying feeling to get jobs done in the garden. Clearing away invasive plants, or plants you have too many of ,... stripping away the unwanted is cathartic. I enjoyed your informative post, with many lovely nature photos. You did a great job of identifying the insects.
    All the best..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Brown Thrashers but see them more often than photograph them. Fun to see the little critters in the pretty blooms. I love St. John's wort...we have that here. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yvonne, your garden images are lovely. The St John's Wort blooms are beautiful. Awesome closeups of the bees and insects. I love all the butterflies. It is wonderful your garden consist of native plants. Phil suggested a great bird id book. I have one I use too. Beautiful photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photography! I love the photo of the sky! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely blooms, bugs and butterfly. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Again, a wonderful series of photos and interesting information (many new to me). Thank you for drawing attention to the fringes at the ends of that butterfly's wings - I wouldn't have noticed them and I wouldn't have known there were such butterflies.
    I know from what others say that a garden is not easy to take care of, but how wonderful it is to have a garden (I don't have one). 😊
    All the best! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photos are beautiful, and your writing about the identity of flowers, birds, and insects is very fascinating. I really enjoyed seeing things as you see them.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes the National Garden Bureau was started in 1920 by James H. Burdett, the author of the Victory Garden book. We are a non-profit organization that exists to educate, inspire, and motivate people to gardens more. Our members are experts in the field of horticulture and our information comes directly from these sources. Learn more at https://ngb.org

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...