Monday, June 27, 2022

To the cat who walks alone.

Those liquid eyes that seem to pierce me to the depths of my soul.  They haunt me at breakfast, brunch, lunch, snack time, dinner, nightcap, and potty break at five next morning.  Doctors’ orders are to feed her whenever she wishes, to build her muscle mass back to wherever it ought to be but is not.  She’s quite demanding, you know, in a silent persevering way… those endless stares, and not a single mew from her lips… just those haunting eyes, wherever I am, staring at me until I give in and plunk a few spoonful’s of chicken bits into her dish.  When contented as her bowl is licked clean, she drifts into the woodwork never to be seen again until she gets the urge to seek me out once more and repeat.






Did I tell you she’s my favorite… yes, I think she’s still my favorite even though she behaves rather badly at times with a dose of indifferent these days.  She’ll touch base at bedtime for a few strokes under her chin, and if I’m lucky she’ll sprawl out by my side, if unlucky, she just bunch up at my feet so I can’t move them even an inch.  Of course, at some point in time she moves like a phantom into her dark place of hiding until five in the morning when on my potty break she lets go a rush of demanding meows signaling it’s snack time before breakfast.






It's her birthday this month.  I forgot it… so wrapped up in my own self, it never occurred that she even had a birthday any time this year.  I suppose she’s over the hill, sixty in human years – when everything about oneself begins to crust with rust.  I’ve already been there.  She has my undying empathy as she continues forward in her life.  She will always have the best I’m able to offer.  She will ask for nothing more than that.  I love her, and whatever she chooses to give back, I'll always call it love and leave it at that. 



22 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Lacey! She is a sweetie. Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! She deserves as much chicken as she wants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweetie! What a lovely celebration. (ツ) from Cottage Country , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to Lacey. She is a beautiful cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She´s very beautiful. Cats are the Best. Meow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sweet kitty!

    She deserves as much chicken as she wants!

    Happy Wednesday, Yvonne!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cats are mysterious and amazing . I love your descriptions of "her liquid" eyes! Happy Birthday Ms. Pussy Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely writing, Yvonne.
    And happy birthday to your beautiful furry friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweety! All the best to you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful words for a special cat. All the best from me too you!
    Greetings
    Kirsi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Yvonne, You have a way with words that makes every word so beautiful and meaningful.I can imagine through your descriptive narrative Lacey's warm fur touching your thigh and her weight on your slippers. Her need for your loving attention. through a bond formed years ago, and her eyes telling you how much she loves you-

    I hope Lacey has many more years of life to share with you, so Many Happy Returns Lacey. Keep getting better and stronger.
    Warm Hugs to you both.:=)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, wonderful words. Such a precious cat and so nice to read about your charming companionship. Happy birthday Lacey!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lacey is beautiful, a wonderful companion. I hope she has or had a very happy birthday. Adorable photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your 4th of July weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday to Lacey! ❤️ Good health! It's a beautiful calico cat! ❤️ Which cat, however, is not beautiful ?! 😊 Some, however, seem to nest in our souls more than others.
    I have cats, I always had (and dogs), so I kind of know what you describe so beautifully!
    Good health for you and for all your other loved ones (with fur and without fur). ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  15. How sweet! I know she'll get special treatment this weekend! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really did enjoy your little musings about your cat. So lovely. Thank you for sharing with us. Stay safe, enjoy your week, and thankyou for visiting my blog last week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, may there be many more years to come, Happy Birthday Lacey! Susi turned 14 on June 27th, unfortunately she was very ill, spent two days in the veterinary clinic, she is very emaciated and there is a suspicion of something evil in her stomach that doesn't belong there. You would have to do another ultrasound and take a sample, but I don't think we will do that because we don't want to put her through an operation anymore. She's eating, although not much...we'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. She IS beautiful. And oh, those fabulous eyes. I hope she has many more birthdays to come. (I know -- one shouldn't have favorites of their "children" but I think we all do!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. She certainly has a beautiful home with you! A Very Happy Belated Birthday, little one!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...